Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I deleted my admin account by accident now my password is not accepted

I tried to delete an account and accidentally deleted my admin. now I cannot access anything because start up wont accept my password

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 7:53 AM

1 reply

Jul 26, 2015 8:36 AM in response to margaretfromredditch

Do you want to create a new admin account?

That can be done by removing a file that will cause 'setup assistant' to re-run. All your apps & data will stay intact, but you get the chance to make a new admin user.

This is a simple process, but involves some potentially dangerous actions, please read all of the message before trying anything…

Boot into single user mode by holding cmd+s at startup.

Eventually a command prompt will appear and you can begin by entering the next 4 lines, do not include the line numbers.

fsck -fy /
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
reboot

Setup will run, reate a new user account (give it a new name, do not reuse the old admin name). This account will be an admin that can address whatever issues you created when the old one was damaged/ deleted.

If you have no backups & want to make one before beginning please ask, it should be safe if done correctly, but mistakes within single user mode can be costly - you have access to the entire system with no undo.

If yo get any errors record them (possibly a photo) & post them here.

I deleted my admin account by accident now my password is not accepted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.