Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple recommends -- Green check

I got an Apple recommends! See:

authorised apple store in Saudi Arabia

The thing is that the post also gets a check in the list of my posts.

User uploaded file

I am wondering do we get double checks, if the poster feels this solved the problem 😉 ?

Does this prevent the poster from marking as solved?

Does it seem to you if apple has recently begone to mark this as recommended? Seems this would take a lot of effort on Apples part.

I do not get a vote, but would seem better to spend the time and money on making the forums more usable. Even adding a button to create a new post would be highly beneficial in my mind.

Robert

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 10:18 AM

19 replies

Jul 26, 2015 10:29 AM in response to rccharles

Some other thoughts, Robert - the idea of the recommends is to allow Apple to award points to a post that does a good job of providing an Apple endorsable reply. Gives your post extra reputation...one thing that would be helpful, and the hosts haven't figured out how to do so yet, would be a listing of Apple Recommends posts. That would be a tool we could use like the knowledge base articles in responding to questions.

The hosts have been putting in extra effort lately in sorting through responses and green-checking those recommended - but, again, how do we know we got an award? Only by point total going up but not receiving a notification - oh, yea, like Jive hasn't made a mistake and forgotten to send us a notification 😝

Which comes back to, how about a lasting, even if it is only of our own posts, of the Apple Recommends.

Congratulations on getting recommended, pretty soon you will be a great asset to the Lounge.

Jul 26, 2015 10:41 AM in response to seventy one

seventy one wrote:

Not sure about that Ralph, I seem to recall that if you get a solved it wipes out any helped points. I know it seems daft but I have noticed a couple of times where the solved greenie has given me a maximum of 10 points despite the OP awarding me 'helps' as well.

It depends on how much time elapses between the helpful and the solved responses. I recently received 20 points in one discussion for getting the two helpfuls that came on two different days - and then getting the solved as well on the same day as the second helpful. The solved came a few minutes after the second helpful.

On the other hand, I have gotten emails with the notification for a helpful answer and seconds later got the email for her solved. In those instances, I only received the 10 points for the solved. Those instances occur far more often than getting the 20 points that I described above.

Jul 26, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Demo

Demo wrote:

SNIP
On the other hand, I have gotten emails with the notification for a helpful answer and seconds later got the email for her solved. In those instances, I only received the 10 points for the solved. Those instances occur far more often than getting the 20 points that I described above.

This happens to me what I would call "often" exactly as you describe (just an impression, but I could tally it in my notices if pressed)

To all:

I figured out a way to search for "Recommend " only threads with Google Site Search - terms:

[ "response to * Recommended" site:discussions.apple.com ] no brackets - YES QUOTES in Google Search field

the asterisk is a wildcard for the UserName of the respondee and is a MUST since inside the quotes

Jul 26, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Demo

I have gotten emails with the notification for a helpful answer and seconds later got the email for her solved. In those instances, I only received the 10 points for the solved.

That point was clarified elsewhere by one of the hosts a while ago - if you get (helpful) 5 points and then later 10 for the same answer, the 5 points are lost/deleted/overridden by the 10. However, if the 5 were from the "recommended" feature, then you can get a total of 15 for the same answer.

Jul 26, 2015 2:42 PM in response to babowa

Yes, this was what I was remembering and has since been backed up through experience of it.

While I'm personally not that bothered, the more technical of our members can and have spent hours patiently coaching someone through solving a problem and during the procedure collect two helps and a solved. It would seem fair to me if all 20 points were to be awarded.

Jul 26, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Demo

Demo wrote:

SNIP

and seconds later - How about simultaneously? Same answer - helpie first - solvie second - EXACT SAME TimeStamp:

User uploaded file

I suppose it is possible to choose both in the same second, but probable that they were chosen in under one second? One quick mouser!

Jul 26, 2015 3:25 PM in response to seventy one

It would seem fair to me if all 20 points were to be awarded.

This type of system will never be fair. It can't be because there is no way that everyone will always award points (or award them to the right person). That is one (of several) reasons why I am opposed to it. I've gotten 5 or 10 points for something like "what Mac and which OS version", but none for actually answering questions by a margin of at least 10 : 1, so I'd rather have a thank you, that did it. Get more enjoyment out of that.

Jul 26, 2015 4:01 PM in response to seventy one

7 1, mi amigo

I did say possible, did I not? I can envision mistakes an OP could make that would explain the two more sets (3 in all before I tired of looking) of simultaneous helpie/solvies I found and WHY both helpie points and solvie points are not awarded:

Fat fingers on a smaller iDevice of some kind could Easily tap the left edge of one and right edge of the other in what seems like one tap - BUT - the devices systems are so fast that it can tell milliseconds of difference as a real difference - at best a Tap>Roll of the fingertip?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

ANY change from helpie to solvie Apple figures was a mistake by the OP to begin with, and therefore deserves no reward beyond the greater point value.

My "simultaneous" could easily be your way as well - "tap/tap" can be typed in a second or so, so I guess a real finger tap/tap is just as probable.

My first inclination is always "glitch du jour" - because there that many - but sometimes it is just "between the seat and the screen"

buenos noches, pal o' mino

ÇÇÇ

Apple recommends -- Green check

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.