Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My podcast list is complete in iTunes preview, but does not appear in iTunes when I subscribe.

I created this podcast in the fall and everything had been running smoothly until I was alerted that new episodes are not appearing in the podcast when someone accesses it through their subscription in iTunes. All of the files appear correctly on the iTunes preview page (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/st.-anselms-abbey-podcast/id923858796) and work fine when previewed there. I unsubscribed from the podcast, deleted existing files, and tried to subscribe again. The podcast in iTunes is now empty. I don't understand why there is a disconnect between the files seen on the preview page and those that are (not) appearing in the actual podcast. If you have any ideas, I would be grateful!

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 2:03 PM

You have introduced a fatal error into your feed. The 'link' and 'enclosure' tags within the episode for 7 June contain the URL

http://stanselms.org/podcastgen2.2/?name=2015-06-07_32_body_&_blood.mp3

You cannot have an ampersand ('&') by itself in an XMP feed because it signifies the beginning of a code sequence which is never completed. This renders the rest of the feed unreadable because it looks as if it's part of this non-existent code. As it invalidates the closing tags that renders the opening tags invalid and so the entire feed becomes unreadable which is why it turns up empty when subscribing.

The Store is showing the feed, which it caches, as of the last time it could read it. Oddly enough the episode in question is there, so either you've made a change to the URL since July 19th or the Store is ignoring the error - though the iTunes application is plainly thrown by it.

You will need to rename the file concerned to remove the ampersand and amend the feed accordingly. The 'link' tag should contain the URL of your website, not your episode, but in any case is not read within episodes, onlly in the top section of the feed, so you can remove the URL entirely. You should probably check the feed for any more stray ampersands, then having corrected it re-upload it and subscribe to it to see if it now works.

Any time you need to have an ampersand in text you should replace it with the code

&

however you should never have one in a URL as it can cause problems quite apart from the XML issue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2015 2:03 PM in response to chudyjenn

You have introduced a fatal error into your feed. The 'link' and 'enclosure' tags within the episode for 7 June contain the URL

http://stanselms.org/podcastgen2.2/?name=2015-06-07_32_body_&_blood.mp3

You cannot have an ampersand ('&') by itself in an XMP feed because it signifies the beginning of a code sequence which is never completed. This renders the rest of the feed unreadable because it looks as if it's part of this non-existent code. As it invalidates the closing tags that renders the opening tags invalid and so the entire feed becomes unreadable which is why it turns up empty when subscribing.

The Store is showing the feed, which it caches, as of the last time it could read it. Oddly enough the episode in question is there, so either you've made a change to the URL since July 19th or the Store is ignoring the error - though the iTunes application is plainly thrown by it.

You will need to rename the file concerned to remove the ampersand and amend the feed accordingly. The 'link' tag should contain the URL of your website, not your episode, but in any case is not read within episodes, onlly in the top section of the feed, so you can remove the URL entirely. You should probably check the feed for any more stray ampersands, then having corrected it re-upload it and subscribe to it to see if it now works.

Any time you need to have an ampersand in text you should replace it with the code

&

however you should never have one in a URL as it can cause problems quite apart from the XML issue.

My podcast list is complete in iTunes preview, but does not appear in iTunes when I subscribe.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.