Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't restore my iPhone 5 because it restarts during restore

my iPhone 5 suddenly died today, it just turned itself off out of the blue, I tried to restart it quite a few times but it would get to the white apple logo screen without turning back on, I tried to restore it through iTunes, but every time I try at some point during the restore, while iTunes is showing 'extracting the software' the phone restarts and so it can't complete the restore process. The last couple of days the phone would restart by itself every now and then, but it was basically working normally, I was actually going to restore it today anyway, only now I can't seem to be able to do even that.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 2:40 PM

3 replies

Jul 28, 2015 12:36 PM in response to Riccardo S.

Hello Riccardo,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that your iPhone is unresponsive, will not boot up completely, nor can you restore through iTunes. To help troubleshoot this issue I'd like you to please reinstall iOS by following the steps below.

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

You might see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen for a long time during start up. Try these steps:

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

User uploaded file

What to do next

Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of these issues:

• You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, or following the steps in this article.
  • You see a black screen, but can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
  • Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond to when you tap, slide, or try other gestures.
  • You can't force your device to restart because your Home button or Sleep/Wake button is broken or stuck.
  • Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

Take care.

I can't restore my iPhone 5 because it restarts during restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.