Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can both AirPort Express Ethernet ports be used for wired LAN devices?

I extend my wireless AirPort Extreme with a remote 2nd generation AirPort Express. I'd like to attach two wired Ethernet devices to the Airport Express. The LAN port clearly works for this purpose but the device attached to the WAN port doesn't seem to be getting network signal. Is this configuration ... two attached LAN devices at the same time ... something that should work with the Express in "extend my wireless network" mode? Appreciate some counsel here.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 1:24 PM

When the Express is configured to "Extend a wireless network" it is in what is called Bridge Mode. In Bridge Mode, there is no WAN port.....both ports act as LAN ports.

So, you can use both ports to connect an Ethernet device......assuming that the port is working, you have a good Ethernet cable, and the port on the Ethernet device is working.

If you need more than 2 Ethernet ports, you can connect an Ethernet switch to the Express. Switches come in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port, etc versions.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2015 1:24 PM in response to David Kohl

When the Express is configured to "Extend a wireless network" it is in what is called Bridge Mode. In Bridge Mode, there is no WAN port.....both ports act as LAN ports.

So, you can use both ports to connect an Ethernet device......assuming that the port is working, you have a good Ethernet cable, and the port on the Ethernet device is working.

If you need more than 2 Ethernet ports, you can connect an Ethernet switch to the Express. Switches come in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port, etc versions.

Can both AirPort Express Ethernet ports be used for wired LAN devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.