Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When import drum track, can't sync new tracks

After I import a drum track (I'm using Beta Monkey, and importing a full tune with a metronome marking) to Garageband (10.1), I can't sync the new tracks I lay down to it. Or, I should say, some of the tracks sync but others don't. I thought maybe it was the "count in" function, but I've set that to zero for all the track, but some still aren't synced. Any help is much appreciated. Jeff

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 2:27 PM

7 replies

Jul 26, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Jdub31

It is not so much the question if Track A syncs to Track B, and Track C syncs to Track A, etc

Any Track, or what you record or place on that Track should sync to the Metronome, playing the Tempo o your Project. m If all the Tracks are in sync to the Metronome, then you are in business. If any Track (the Regions on it) don't match the Metronome, then you have anise with those Regions. For example, recorded in a different Tempo, recorded with a poor timing, time stretched to the wrong tempo, etc.

Start to single out with Track doesn't match them Tempo and find out why.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 27, 2015 3:43 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Yes, that's right. I listened to the metronome during record and left it on during playback. On playback, the tracks weren't synced. Also, after your last reply, I checked, and all the non-syncing tracks were set to the same metronome marking: 120. What makes the more confusing, it that every once in a while the tracks are synced during playback.

Jul 27, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Jdub31

Jdub31 wrote:

all the non-syncing tracks were set to the same metronome marking: 120.

Something is missing in your description. I'm especially confused by your statement with the metronome marking. You don't set specific tracks to a Tempo

You choose a single Tempo for your entire Project by setting the Tempo value in the Control Bar Display

User uploaded file

• The Metronome, when enabled, is just a click produced by GarageBand that follows the tempo (plus the Time Signature)
  • MIDI Regions and Audio Regions that are Apple Loops follow the Tempo in your Project. Changing the tempo will play back those Regions accordingly
  • Audio Regions that you record new in your Project have the "Follow Tempo" checkbox enabled by default and will adapt to a different Tempo, when you change it in your Project.

User uploaded file

Audio FIles that you import (drag into) your Project are played back at their original "speed". They will not adapt to any tempo or tempo change in your Project. You have to make sure that an external audio file is recorded at the same Tempo as your Project Tempo, or you have to change your Project Tempo to the tempo of the Audio File.

Here is an excerpt from my graphically enhance manual "GarageBand X - How it Works" that demonstrates the different Audio Regions and their characteristics you have to be aware of.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 27, 2015 12:38 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Sorry for the confusion and if this is frustrating. Could we focus on just this one point? When I set the metronome to 120, and make it audible so I can hear the clicks and record a track to the tempo I'm hearing, the metronome and the track are way off in playback. That shouldn't be happening, should it?

Part of this is my adapting to Garageband 10.1, I'm sure. I used 6.5 for years with no problem. Thanks. Jeff

Aug 4, 2015 2:46 PM in response to Jdub31

DO you record audio or MIDI?

Either way, you have to troubleshoot the issue. For example, record notes on each beat (like the click) and check those recorded notes in the Editor if they line up to the beat against the Projects timeline (Ruler). This way you can find out who has the issue, the metronome or the Region.

You are sure to have no delay effect or anything like that on that track (although this would apply ti recording and playback

Hope that helps

When import drum track, can't sync new tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.