Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing mavericks on MBP with Lion

I was waiting for Apple to solve the WiFi problem before upgrading to Mavericks or Yosemite on my MBP. Now it looks like the WiFi issue is laid to rest I want to move up to Yosemite. When I attempted to install "Install OS X Yosemite.app" version 1.6.18. the installation begins but then the message "The OSX installation couldn't be completed" comes up. The same thing happened when I attempted to install "Install OS X Mavericks.app" version 1.3.44. Am I doing something wrong? Earlier i created a separate partition on the hard drive and installed Mavericks on it successfully.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 2:52 PM

9 replies

Jul 26, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Bob1177

I suggest you might try:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion or Lion

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Jul 26, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the suggestion. However when I did the First Aid Repair I saw the message "Warning : SUID file "System/Library/CoreS...as been modified and will not be repaired." I went through the process twice and the same message appeared both times. All of the other warnings appeared to say they were repaired. Lots of Permissions were repaired. I then ran the install OSX Yosemite app again with no luck.

Jul 26, 2015 4:39 PM in response to Bob1177

The SUID message can be ignored. It is innocuous. "Install OS X Yosemite.app" version 1.6.18 is the current installer version, but it doesn't tell you what is being installed. Are you downloading the Yosemite installer from the App Store? It should be about 5.65 GBs in size. You may want to re-download it. Have you verified it can be installed on your hardware?

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Jul 27, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Kappy

I had to do a restore from a Time Machine Backup. I then downloaded a new Yosemite Install App from the App Store. I ran the installation package. When the installation was complete the computer restarted but when I entered my Apple password it get the message "Couldn't sign in because of a server error. Try signing in again." I tried three times with no success. My caps lock is off and I carefully entered my password.

Jul 27, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Kappy

My admin and Apple ID password are different. On my MP my Apple password gets me into the Apple Store. On the problematic MBP after I run the Yosemite Install App from the App Store I get a screen with a blurry Yosemite image and a request for my admin password. After I enter that I get a screen that says "Sign in with Your Apple ID" and a request for my Apple ID password to set up iCloud. I enter it and get the message "Can't sign because of a server error. Try signing in again." I am unable to get past this window. Why can't I skip the setting up iCloud?

installing mavericks on MBP with Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.