Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't my car sound system recognize homemade cds?

The sound system in my new chevy Camaro does not recognize homemade cd's. Is there a fix for that?

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 4:04 PM

21 replies

Jul 27, 2015 9:50 AM in response to mienliebchen

Playing off the iPod doesn't help establish if the data burnt to the CD can be read back from the CD which was the purpose of my question.

An MP3 encoder would be used when copying data from an audio CD into your computer to make compressed audio files for use in iTunes or other software or to copy to devices. When you use iTunes to burn a CD it gives you the option of creating a data disc, which copies the files directly, or an audio disc which recreates the uncompressed audio data to put on the disc. Your car's player may only be able to read this type of CD. Roxio may be generating data discs, particularly if you give it MP3 source files.

tt2

Jul 27, 2015 2:35 PM in response to mienliebchen

But I thought we were talking about CDs, you know, those round shiny things that you might burn with Roxio? 😕

If you're talking about albums on your iPod that is whole different kettle of fish. Were you trying to burn from the iPod to CD directly rather than from source files stored on your computer?

Either way the sound system's manual ought to make it clear what formats are supported from various types of sources. If a flash drive gives the best results then "Go Flash, go!"

tt2

Jul 27, 2015 3:34 PM in response to mienliebchen

Burning is the process of making a CD or DVD from data stored on your computer.

Copying audio data from an audio CD into your computer is called ripping.

There are a number of different audio formats you might rip the data into.

Your iPod may be able to play more formats than the car stereo supports.

Your original question gave the impression that you were making CDs from content stored on your computer and then trying to play those by placing the CDs in a CD slot in the car stereo, and that the car system was rejecting them.

Perhaps your question would be better phrased as "Some of the albums I've copied into my iPod don't show up when I connect it to my car's stereo. Why?" which gets us back to the point of checking the system's manual. It should tell you what formats are supported.

tt2

Why doesn't my car sound system recognize homemade cds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.