Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows installs and runs through Parallels Not Boot Camp

I tried installing Windows 8.1 on my MacBook Pro early 2011 running Yosemite, made the partition correctly everything worked fine, got to the 5 steps of installing and when it reaches the 5th step of " Getting Finished " it gives me an error code saying, " Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of the installation. To install Windows on this computer restart the installation. " Ive tried restarting about 5 times and still receive the same error, tried creating a new partition and restarting to the same problem. Finally after 5 hours decided to try Parallels and see if i could run it that way. Within 5 minutes I have windows 8.1 running perfectly. Any reason why my Windows 8.1 runs perfectly there but wont run through Boot Camp? I would prefer to not use Parallels. Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 2:04 PM

4 replies

Jul 26, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Loner T

Basically I just went onto Parallels downloaded the ParallelsDesktop.dmg installed it, it asked for my ISO so i chose the same one as i tried through boot camp, put in the same windows 8.1 key and it created its own 20 Gb partition and installed. I did the same steps as bootcamp just at the end Boot camp failed where as my Parallels attempt completed instantly

Jul 26, 2015 4:42 PM in response to 5HoursLater

Please ensure that you have a USB2 flash drive, and no external storage or USB hubs are connected.

1. Run Disk Utility and Repair Disk and try BCA again to install Windows.

2. If it fails, then

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

and try BCA to install Windows again.

3. If it fails, then

a. Back up OSX using Time Machine - Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.

b. Boot into Internet Recovery - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support.

c. Erase your internal drive and restore from the TM backup in Step 1 - OS X Yosemite: Recover your entire system.

Please be aware that TM does not backup Bootcamp partitions. Try BCA to install Windows.

Jul 27, 2015 12:11 AM in response to 5HoursLater

I assume you installed in BIOS/MBR mode using a DVD. I also assume your installation partition was formatted MS-DOS (FAT) before you tried to install Windows. If any of the previous statements are not true, this is probably why you failed. I am concerned when you state "wont run through Boot Camp". There is no difference between installing Windows on a Mac and installing on a PC. You don't actually install Boot Camp until after you finish installing Windows. The Boot Camp Assistant is an application that helps a user to install Windows. It is NOT Boot Camp. Frequently, users install Windows with out the aid of the Boot Camp Assistant.

Windows installs and runs through Parallels Not Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.