Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iPhoto 9.2.1 Needed?

I recently downloaded Yosemite 10.10.4 that included Photos 1.0.1 (215.65.0). I just noticed that on my desktop is iPhoto 9.2.1, ready to be downloaded. All the photos I have on my computer were loaded using iPhoto over many years. They all appear to be in my new Photos package. I do not know how the iPhoto download got on my desktop and at this point I assume I do not need it any more. However, before I delete it, I want to make sure I no longer need it. Is this correct? I have an iMac desktop computer.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 2:34 PM

8 replies

Jul 26, 2015 2:38 PM in response to Ronald Everett

If you wish to use iPhoto, then you need version 9.6.1:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Jul 27, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Ronald Everett

You don't need both, but you do still have your iPhoto Library. If you wish to access that library then you will need a compatible version of iPhoto which is what I suggested earlier.

Photos is still a little shy of fully replacing the functionality of iPhoto and Aperture which Apple claimed it would do. So you may want to hang on to iPhoto for a while.

Jul 27, 2015 3:43 PM in response to Ronald Everett

Before you dump iPhoto completely you might look at this user tip: Photos vs iPhoto: Features and Capabilities. As you have already been told Photos is a work in progress and as version 1 lags behind iPhoto in a number of image management areas. However, it does have a more extensive editing capability.

Until you're sure the new Photos will suit all of your needs at this time you might not what to burn your bridges and keep the possibility of continuing to use iPhoto alive.

User uploaded file

Is iPhoto 9.2.1 Needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.