Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External MIDI

Aside from my usb midi keyboard i am using an external midi device (Nord drum 2) drum synth/pad. It is an external drum synth in which i can create all of my own sounds outside of a DAW. Mainstage recognizes the device and the trigger pads can be used to play music from the logic library just like a keyboard. But i would like to use the use the external sounds created in the external hardware device. How do i get the external sounds to play as MIDI signals through the interface? This is how i have it set up. MIDI in/out connected to the focusrite 6i6, which is connected to mainstage via usb. This is precisely how its set up. There are no left/right out cables connected for i did not think they are neccessary. But then again I am new to Mainstage and DAW interfaces.

If you understand my issue please help me

thank you

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 5:58 PM

Left/right out cables from the Nord Drum 2? Yes, you need to connect them. MIDI only handles MIDI data, not audio. If you use the Focusrite as a mixer, connect left/right out of the Nord Drum to line inputs. If you create an external instrument channel strip you can assign a program change and bank number to select the desired Nord Drum sounds when select the MainStage patch. In edit mode>channel strips, right hand upper corner select the cog wheel>create external instrument channel strip.Choose your device the MIDI output box in the channel strip. Then in the channel strip inspector select your MIDI input keyboard, or MIDI device. In the MIDI output tab, select the desired program and bank numbers.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2015 5:58 PM in response to Tylennol

Left/right out cables from the Nord Drum 2? Yes, you need to connect them. MIDI only handles MIDI data, not audio. If you use the Focusrite as a mixer, connect left/right out of the Nord Drum to line inputs. If you create an external instrument channel strip you can assign a program change and bank number to select the desired Nord Drum sounds when select the MainStage patch. In edit mode>channel strips, right hand upper corner select the cog wheel>create external instrument channel strip.Choose your device the MIDI output box in the channel strip. Then in the channel strip inspector select your MIDI input keyboard, or MIDI device. In the MIDI output tab, select the desired program and bank numbers.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

External MIDI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.