Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing entire library

Bought a new computer and a new iPod, and wanted to sync my entire iTunes library. I guess that's possible, but not in the way I thought: you can sync to the entire library purchased from a particular machine, but not your entire library that I assumed was resident somewhere in the Apple cloud. So, if you have used more than one computer to buy iTunes, you can sync only to one fully, and then track-by-track for the other machines? In addition, having synced from one machine - about 2000 tunes - when I "transferred" these tunes from my new iPod to the new computer, only about 280 sings transferred. The message was that I have too many devices, but I had previously deauthorized all computers, and only reauthorized two, so not sure what's going on. I called Apple Support yesterday, but the person was not able to initialize her app to view my desktop, so we eventually decided to just give up for now.

iPod nano (7th generation, Mid 2015), most recent software on all machine

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 3:19 PM

3 replies

Jul 26, 2015 3:52 PM in response to crjag

iTunes purchases are not tied to particular computers, but to the Apple IDs that were used to purchase them. There is no reason to have setup more that one ID. To re-download your purchases from iTunes, you have to log in using those various purchases.

You can also move your entire iTunes library from one computer to another:

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

Jul 26, 2015 4:10 PM in response to Rysz

Corrected typos....

iTunes purchases are not tied to particular computers, but to the Apple IDs that were used to purchase them. There is no reason to have had set up more than one ID. To re-download your purchases from iTunes, you have to log in using each of those various Apple IDs in turn.

You can also move your entire iTunes library from one computer to another:

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

Jul 27, 2015 6:09 AM in response to Rysz

Thank you, Rysz. I will certainly try this, but I think it doesn't necessarily answer my original question - or maybe it does, in the sense of confirming it's not possible? What I wanted to do was, having purchased a new iPod, download my entire library from the iTunes cloud to the new device, regardless of the device on which they were purchased. I think the instructions show how to move a library, including songs purchased by others, to a new computer, and then, when the new library is consolidated, sync to the new iPod. If I've misunderstood the links provided, I'm sorry. I think either way I can achieve what I want to do, but it's maybe just a few more steps. When I tried to just directly sync my new iPod with my iTunes library (only have ever had one ID), and deauthorized and reauthorized, I would only get the songs purchased on that particular machine, and then it only "transferred" around 10% of those to the new computer. That may be a separate problem, perhaps due to digital rights, etc.

Syncing entire library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.