Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHY WON'T PDF'S DELETE WHEN MOVED TO A CATEGORY

I have an IPAD Mini; software: IOS 8.4

In IBooks, when I move a PDF into a category (ex: knitting, quilting, etc.) the PDF use to disappear (from the PDF category). It no longer disappears, it remains in the PDF category. Having duplicate PDF's uses up memory, as well! If I delete the PDF in the PDF category, the file is deleted in both categories.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

iPad, iOS 7.1

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 5:08 PM

11 replies

Jul 26, 2015 8:11 PM in response to Kenjac

The PDF collection is a pre-defined, smart collection that includes ALL files of that format. It is not possible (and never was possible) to remove PDFs from that collection. That's true of all collections listed in bold typeface.

You can keeps any single book or PDF in multiple collections. This does NOT duplicate any files.

Jul 30, 2015 12:31 AM in response to Kenjac

Why? Interesting question.

Can be developer mistake but higly unlikely because Books collection (the one for epubs) works as it was from the beginning. Only the latest build , and only for PDFs they changed it, so it seems it is done deliberately. I hope this was a mistake by a developer who doesnt know how important the PDFs Collection and Books collection works the same and they change it back.

The funny thing is there is no workaround. You cannot go back to 8.3. Apple stopped signing the firmwares.

I hope they change it back or even better a future release of ITunes can allow us to copy new books to the collections from the Mac. That would be way better , at least for me.

Jul 31, 2015 1:22 AM in response to Kenjac

Kenjac

I have also experienced the same issue with the new version. Prior to the upgrade I could create a user specific category, move PDF files into the category which made "filing" my PDF's much easier as I stored a large number of reference material. Since the upgrade if I create a user defined category and "move" a PDF file into the user defined space the file is duplicated both in the PDF category and the user defined space. Delete one and both are deleted.

I would also appreciate a fix as the way it is now is a nuisance especially if you have a significant number of texts and manuals on the ipad. Prior to the upgrade I used over 7 user defined categories and it was extremely convenient.

WHY WON'T PDF'S DELETE WHEN MOVED TO A CATEGORY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.