Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Putting songs on a flash drive

I have a large iTunes Library and want to download a part of it onto a flash drive.......is it possible to choose certain albums and download them without all the rest? Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 5:06 PM

Yes. You can open a new Finder page, go to your account and click on Music and there should be a folder named iTunes. Click on it and go into the iTunes Media folder, and click on the Music folder. Each folder is an album, with the m4a file in there. You can drag them to your flash drive, which will automatically copy it to your flash drive.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2015 5:06 PM in response to karlssongunvor

Yes. You can open a new Finder page, go to your account and click on Music and there should be a folder named iTunes. Click on it and go into the iTunes Media folder, and click on the Music folder. Each folder is an album, with the m4a file in there. You can drag them to your flash drive, which will automatically copy it to your flash drive.

Jul 27, 2015 1:23 AM in response to twistedfatemid

Thanks! Easier than I thought!

I'd lke to know just one more thing......If I want to include the other items in the iTunes folder on the flash drive, how do i do it? These are the files- Album artwork, iTunes Library Genius.itdb, iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Library Extras.itdb, iTunes Music Library.xml, and Previous iTunes Libraries. I suppose they will carry all the data for the albums, which I don't want, to download as well......

Jul 27, 2015 5:59 AM in response to karlssongunvor

When asking questions here it helps to outline what you are trying to accomplish. People often ask how to do something, not realizing they are trying to achieve their goal the wrong way.

If all you want are media files it is easier to simply drag the tracks from iTunes to the flash drive open in Finder -- no diving your way through folders in the iTunes folder with Finder.

You can copy whatever files you want from that folder to the flash drive. All those other files and folders can only be used by iTunes to present what you see in the iTunes application which is why it doesn't really make sense to copy them unless you are doing a complete library backup. If you are trying to accomplish something else you need to tell us what that is.

Jul 27, 2015 7:02 AM in response to karlssongunvor

Karlssongungvor, just to expand a bit on Limnos's reply, you probably don't need anything but the music files themselves, if you want to load them on a different computer or play them on a different device or something like that. Key information like title, artist, album, track number, etc is written into the music file as metadata, using a standardized tagging system that should be recognized by other software (though there are no guarantees at that end).

Jul 27, 2015 8:47 AM in response to richard grant

Just a few added notes to richard grant's post:

1) WAV format files do not store data internally. If you are using this file format your easiest solution is don't use it. Use pretty much any other format.

2) If you download the media from the iTunes Store it is possible the artwork is not included in the file itself. I suspect iTunes does this to save on drive space since you don't need artwork to be embedded in every single file in an album, you only need one reference copy which iTunes stores separately. If you are missing artwork you may need to embed it using a script from the Dougscripts web site.

Putting songs on a flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.