Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

batch import photos 6.5.x

I'm creating a photo-focused presentation with LOTS of photos, most of them the only object on a given slide. I'd like to import them into Keynote 6.5.3 on a batch basis, versus individually. The closest to a solution I've found is to drag a set of files into the slide navigator on the left side. That brings them in, but unless the imported photos match the aspect ratio of the slide, the photos are not properly resized to fit, even though I've checked the item in Preferences that asks for that. Am I missing something about this approach to addressing my need? Is there another way to address my need? Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 8:21 AM

Drag and drop in the navigator is the correct way to create a photo slideshow.

but unless the imported photos match the aspect ratio of the slide, the photos are not properly resized

First, you need to decide if square and vertical images fill the screen, or are to be cropped.

For images that are the same aspect ratio, Keynote will size and centre images correctly in a slide; if the longest edge of the image is smaller than the slide size set in Inspector > Document > Document > Slide Size > Custom

My method for optimum images:

• set the slide size in Keynote for the end product; i.e. for Mac playback on a Mac set slide size in pixels to match the display being used
  • for full screen images, use images that have the longest side the same size of the
  • if the images are larger, either resize manually on the slide to fit or preferably they can be batch scaled bringing in to Keynote. Downsize from Stunt Software, or Adobe Bridge are perfect for this. Resize so that the longest edge of the image is equal to the longest length of the slide.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 8:21 AM in response to MarkTak

Drag and drop in the navigator is the correct way to create a photo slideshow.

but unless the imported photos match the aspect ratio of the slide, the photos are not properly resized

First, you need to decide if square and vertical images fill the screen, or are to be cropped.

For images that are the same aspect ratio, Keynote will size and centre images correctly in a slide; if the longest edge of the image is smaller than the slide size set in Inspector > Document > Document > Slide Size > Custom

My method for optimum images:

• set the slide size in Keynote for the end product; i.e. for Mac playback on a Mac set slide size in pixels to match the display being used
  • for full screen images, use images that have the longest side the same size of the
  • if the images are larger, either resize manually on the slide to fit or preferably they can be batch scaled bringing in to Keynote. Downsize from Stunt Software, or Adobe Bridge are perfect for this. Resize so that the longest edge of the image is equal to the longest length of the slide.

Jul 27, 2015 8:47 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks, Gary. I think I'm succeeding, but I need to check a few more images. The key was setting the screen size to match the actual pixel size of the images I've generated, which is in a 2x envelope for an Full HD display (with a resulting envelope of 3840x2160). When I set that size and import a portrait oriented image, Keynote fit it to the vertical limit with no cropping. I'm now confident that when I bring in a landscape oriented image (where the vertical pixel count matches 2160 or not--it may be a panorama), the entire image will get onto the slide. I'll post further if those expectations are not met.

Since you seem to be knowledgeable in this area, I welcome your comments on a related topic. I am using a 2x envelope for the JPEGs I produce, even though the physical screen size is Full HD. The idea is to give me latitude to do "Magic Moves" between a pair of slides with the same image on them, but of different sizes. I'll manually position/crop the zoomed in image to support that. Do you see any flaw in my reasoning?

Thanks again!

Jul 28, 2015 3:36 AM in response to MarkTak

I am using a 2x envelope for the JPEGs I produce, even though the physical screen size is Full HD.

The idea is to give me latitude to do "Magic Moves" between a pair of slides with the same image on them, but of different sizes.

I dont understand this, if you require a slide size of 1920x1080 "HD" why use 3840x2160?

If its just to see objects off canvas, reduce the View size by clicking on the View dropdown menu.

The grab below shows two slides placed off canvas to show the starting positions of an effect

User uploaded file

If this not what your trying to do , post back.

Jul 28, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks, Gary. It's useful to know about that possibility (having an image off canvas altogether at the start of a magic move) and I'll keep in mind for future use. However, that's not my motivation for using a 2x envelope. Consider an upper portrait of a colorfully dressed tribe member in Asia. In my presentations, I sometimes do a magic move where the next slide is a close up of the person's face. The 2x envelope gives me room to zoom into an image via magic move (or otherwise), without generating a distinct JPEG and while still (typically) matching or exceeding the native resolution of my projector. In the default situation, however, 2x makes it easy for the display driver to map to the physical device pixel dimensions. Sorry I wasn't more clear in the original post.

Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Jul 29, 2015 1:52 PM in response to MarkTak

I am using a 2x envelope for the JPEGs I produce, even though the physical screen size is Full HD. The idea is to give me latitude to do "Magic Moves" between a pair of slides with the same image on them, but of different sizes. I'll manually position/crop the zoomed in image to support that. Do you see any flaw in my reasoning?

Doing this won't give you any advantage, the only thing that will happen is your file size will increase with out any change in quality.

The golden rule for this is, if the resolution of the slide size in Keynote, (1920x1080) is the same as the resolution of the image, (1920x1080), there will be no loss of image resolution.

Jul 29, 2015 2:13 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks for your patience, Gary. Just to make sure I understand what you're saying, let me pose my question in concrete terms, under the assumption that the resolution of the slide size in Keynote is the same as the resolution of the display (both 1920x1080, in this case).

I'm already convinced that if on slide #X I have placed an image for which the JPEG is 960 wide by 1080 pixels tall, I can bulk import it, Keynote will fill the vertical height of the screen with it and I will get the best possible resolution for that image image on my display device (projector). However, if on slide #X+1, I place the same JPEG, but enlarged to fill the entire width of the slide, I'm asking Keynote to create twice as many pixels as I give it. Are you really saying that Keynote will produce equivalent quality versus my proposed method where the JPEG has already has 1920 pixels in the horizontal dimension? Keep in mind that LIghtroom, when it created that 1920 wide worth of pixels, likely started with an image out of the camera with as many as 3456 pixels horizontally (on one of my cameras, as an example).

I welcome your further comments.

Mark

batch import photos 6.5.x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.