Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I extend new Air Port Extreme (6th Gen) with Air Port Extreme (2nd Gen)

After I set up 6th Gen, it will not locate the 2nd Gen so I can set it up as an extender. Tried resets, hard resets. I can set it up over ethernet cable, but not over wifi. Once I unplug ethernet from 6th gen, 2nd gen disappears.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 7:39 PM

7 replies

Jul 26, 2015 7:48 PM in response to taggrafx

Are you still using OS X (10.6.8) as you indicate in your profile? If not, what operating system are you using?

If you want to set up the 2nd Gen AirPort Extreme to connect using wireless to the new AirPort Extreme, you have to set it up that way.....using wireless. If the 2nd Gen connects using Ethernet during the setup, then AirPort Utility will set it up that way......to connect using Ethernet.

The 2nd Gen will need to be running at least firmware 7.5.2 or higher to work with the newer AirPort Extreme. Do you know if that is the case?

Jul 27, 2015 8:46 AM in response to taggrafx

Do you recall updating the firmware on the 2nd Gen as newer versions became available over the past 5-6 years? We ask this because AirPort Utility on Mavericks and Yosemite can only be used with more recent firmware versions on the older AirPorts.

If the 2nd Gen is still using older firmware, AirPort Utility in Mavericks and Yosemite will not be able to set up the 2nd Gen.

We can run a check another way if you have a iPhone or iPad handy. Might that be the case?

Jul 27, 2015 9:50 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Got it to work from laptop (Yosimite) Verified firmware (7.6.4). Weird that it wouldn't do it from desktop. Thanks for all of your help. Now that I have it working, I'll see if it's even worth it. Since it's only single band, what band am I getting out of it? 2.4 or 5ghz? I live in a 4 story and it does reach the 4th floor, but I suspect that it's 2.4ghz since it's around 4-5mbps on the furthest floor. Maybe I'll try a new Express to utilize as an extender since it's both bands simultaneously or a used 5th gen. Thanks again.

Jul 27, 2015 10:02 AM in response to taggrafx

Since it's only single band, what band am I getting out of it? 2.4 or 5ghz?

2.4 GHz signals are quite a bit stronger than 5 GHz, so unless you literally have line-of-sight between the AirPosts, the 2nd Gen is picking up the 2.4 GHz signal and extending that.

Maybe I'll try a new Express to utilize as an extender since it's both bands simultaneously or a used 5th gen.

The big downside to extending using wireless is that even with a very good connection between the AirPorts, you will typically lose about half of the potential speed on the entire network. So, at best extending using wireless is a real compromise.

A no compromise setup would be two new AirPort Extremes, both connected together using an Ethernet cable. There is no speed loss on the network when you do it this way.

A new Express has only 100 Mbps Ethernet ports, so if you try an Express instead of a new Extreme, the maximum speed that it will allow is 100 Mbps over either wired or wireless connections. That's a loss of 900 Mbps compared to the AirPort Extreme.

Can I extend new Air Port Extreme (6th Gen) with Air Port Extreme (2nd Gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.