Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 can't find or connect to wifi

I have a used iphone 5 that can not find wifi at home, but it (ocassionally) finds wifi and connects fine in public. At home it doesn't even bring up our network or find the neighbors. I know our wifi is working fine because we have several other devices on it already... unfortunately, none of them are Apple, so I'm not sure what the problem could be unless it's an Apple problem. I talked to the previous owner who said he had little or no issues with the wifi and suggested resetting the nework settings. I've tried that, power cycled the phone and entered the network information in my phone a zillion times now but the most it's done is continually load the nework and never actually connect to wifi at home.

Data of course works, but the weird thing is that the phone has connected to free wifi around town occasionally and been fine finding other networks, just not ours or the neighbors.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 5:43 PM

1 reply

Jul 28, 2015 1:59 PM in response to kat.margetts

Howdy Kat.margetts,

It sounds like you are not able to join your home network at all despite resetting the network settings, and restarting multiple times. I would first verify that you've done the troubleshooting in the following article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network

If so, then use the following article to make sure you have the recommended settings on your router for iOS devices using the following article:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

If all else fails, then you may need to backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it works.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups
If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

iphone 5 can't find or connect to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.