Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old external hard drive with new mac

I have an old western digital model wd1600c032 that I have old footage on and just thought I'd connect it to my mac. The drive light comes on, some whirring sound is produced (that sound was always present) and then the light on the drive turns on and off a few times and then it just shuts down. At no point does my mac recognize it. I've already checked the western digital manual and there is nothing available as far as drivers or the sorts to help me out.

any advice? I tried looking through older threads but didn't find much.

thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 8:44 PM

4 replies

Jul 27, 2015 1:22 AM in response to tsubeta04

There is a chance that a hardware problem in the external enclosure is preventing

the hard drive within it from being read or seen correctly by the computer system.

A 'bare drive wire kit' such as one shown at owc macsales.com could be used to

test and see if the drive once removed from the enclosure, could be accessed

and any desired data retrieved. The kit has wire connections and power adapter.

NewerTech Universal Drive Adapter USB 3.0 - connects any 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" drive

Something similar may be available from a local computer shop, be sure to check

on their return policy if the unit does not work out for you. The above linked item is

among the better ones available and is from a reputable vendor of Mac-centric stuff.

Could be time to consider a new enclosure with faster connection ports for a wider

usefulness & later purposes such as backups, with sufficient capacity for partitions.

I'd not put an old HDD into a new enclosure, but the universal wire kit would solve

the question about accessing some old drive locked in potentially failed enclosure.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 28, 2015 1:49 AM in response to tsubeta04

The internal circuitry that supports power and data to and from the externally enclosed

hard disk drive may likely have a failure in one or another connection or hardware part.

So to remove the hard drive from the enclosure and attach it more directly in attempt

to retrieve the content is a suggested method to try & recover information, since there

is a fair chance the hard drive itself is not the main problem. It may be OK enough to

use a universal USB cable kit to at least test the theory, since it isn't terribly expensive.

Sometimes the format used in an old external drive may not be suitable for Mac OS X

but may be OK for some kinds of files or to be shared with a Windows PC; however

the sound of your issue appears to point to a failure to communicate between device

and computer. A bad cable or printed circuit inside the enclosure, a partially failed

power supply inside the enclosure, & so on. And the old hard drive may be worn out.

Hopefully you can at least recover the content of the old hard drive; be sure that any

computer you use to recover to, has a known-good additional external HDD attached

so the data won't have to be saved into the computer directly. Especially if the files

may over-fill the computer's internal hard drive.

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

old external hard drive with new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.