Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Primary email address to iCloud address - issue

HI,

I am trying to change my Apple ID login from my work email address to my iCloud address but I get an error message:

You cannot set up an Apple ID using this email address. Please try again using a different email address.

I didn't really want to make a gmail account as I use my iCloud for my personal account and was saving on having another email account.

Has anyone had this issue and is it because the iCloud address belongs to apple and I can't use this domain (it is one of the reasons on why it can't be changed)

Thanks for responding.

Debbie

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 5:53 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

You can't change the address from a non iCloud address to an iCloud address. You can change the address, but it must be changed to another non iCloud address.

5 replies

Jul 27, 2015 11:58 AM in response to debbiew_74

It is possible to link a gmail with an @me or @icloud account as alternative address. However it is not possible to change the primary address like Winston states.

I would very much like to give up my non-Apple email address as primary, which is not possible, you cannot "swap" them.

They would easily fix this in my opinion!

Primary email address to iCloud address - issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.