Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV3 not seeing Photos App on Mini

Hi Forum,

when i try and look at photos on my ATV3 from my Mac Mini, the ATV seems to fail at seeing my latest library. it says turn on Home Sharing, which it is. id like to go into the menu on ATV and select certain groups of photos but the ATV never seems to find anything.

i use ths same Mini and ATV3 to share films across my network so i know Home Sharing is on and working.

is ATV looking at Photos App or the old iPhotos App? it says 'Photos' so i assume its up to date and looking at Photos App???

Apple TV 3-OTHER

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 5:16 AM

12 replies

Aug 11, 2015 12:49 PM in response to Winston Churchill

'Photos Under Computers'... no. i thought access to photos was through 'Settings'.

i can access iCloud photos through an Icon on the icon screen [start screen] but i what i really want is to look at my photos in the Photos from my Mini. Under settngs, it is only Screen Saver that sees my Photos, although 'Turn On Home Sharing' is back, after it temporarily dissapeared. not sure why thats now staryed up again.

i guess what im after, on top of getting Photos under Settings>Screen Saver to work, is a way of looking at Photos from the Mini...

Aug 11, 2015 1:24 PM in response to mumbles2701

Open iTunes application on your Mac Mini and from Menu bar choose File > Home Sharing > Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV… When new window will open, which application is listed as a source: is it Photos app or iPhoto?

What option do you have enabled? Do you share all Albums or only Selected Albums?

Aug 12, 2015 1:33 PM in response to mumbles2701

Cycle power on your Router - turn OFF and ON again. If you do use built-in Firewall, then disable it. If you do have any additional, 3rd party Security apps like Firewall, Antivirus, Banking Apps, disable them or fully uninstall by using provided by manufacturer/developer software.

If your Router has built-in security Features (like Firewall or Parental Control) disable them too.

If your Apple TV still prompts to enable Home Sharing, and you are sure Home Sharing on your Mac Mini is ON (iTunes > File > Turn on Home Sharing) then most likely some additional software on your Mac Mini OR built-in Security on your Router is blocking communication.

Other thing which could have an impact on your setup would by Dual-band Router where 2.4 GHz and 5GHz network works in sync mode (some router has this ability). In that case, check the Manual for your Router and disable that option (in other words, make sure 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks are broadcasted as TWO separate networks and each Network has individual name).

Or test your setup on different network in order to check if issue could be caused by your Router.

Apple TV3 not seeing Photos App on Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.