Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule 3TB

Hi all,

I just installed my Airport Time Capsule 3TB and all is good, but for some reason it doesn't give out IP addresses!

My modem is also a router and that is connected to my capsule and then I have a cable to my Mac pro. I created a network and a guest network did all the steps, but no I get an exclamation mark in the wifi signal sign, indicating that I do not have internet connection, then I look and see that it fails to have an ip address on my devices.

Anyone who can help me with this?

Thanks,

a rookie

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 3:45 AM

16 replies

Jul 27, 2015 11:11 AM in response to lacdegeus

I just installed my Airport Time Capsule 3TB and all is good, but for some reason it doesn't give out IP addresses!

That would be because your modem/router is handing out IP addresses for the devices on your network as it should, and with this router "upstream" on your network, the Time Capsule should be set up to operate in "Off (Bridge Mode)" to avoid having two routers both fighting with each other and trying to control the same network.

You can confirm if the Time Capsule is set up correctly by opening AirPort Utility, clicking on the picture of the Time Capsule, clicking on Edit in the smaller window that appears and then clicking on the Network tab at the top of the next page.

The setting for Router Mode should be set to "Off (Bridge Mode)"

If you make any changes, click the Update button at the bottom of the screen and wait a minute for the AirPort to restart to a green light. Then, power off both your modem/router and the AirPort and wait a minute. Then, power up your modem/router and let it run for a full minute, then power up the AirPort.

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, the Guest Network feature will not work correctly on when the AirPort is in Bridge Mode, so you will have to use the wireless on your modem/router as a "guest" network.

Jul 27, 2015 11:18 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your help. But when I have it in off (Bridge Mode) I do not get the IP Addresses. At this very moment I have it in DHCP modus and I can now use my wifi signals on my devices and computers, but the capsule blinks amber and my Mac Pro says that do not have the capsule installed. very strange "but now I get an exclamation mark in the wifi signal sign, indicating that I do not have internet connection, then I look and see that it fails to have an ip address on my devices."

Does this mean I have to ask my ISP to exchange the modem maybe?

Thanks,

Jul 27, 2015 11:25 AM in response to lacdegeus

In Bridge Mode, the Time Capsule allows the IP addresses that are assigned by your modem/router to pass through to network devices.

At this very moment I have it in DHCP modus and I can now use my wifi signals on my devices and computers, but the capsule blinks amber and my Mac Pro says that do not have the capsule installed.

That is not the correct setting for the Time Capsule.

My suggestion would be to start over again, and reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and then set it up again. If you need some help or tips with this, we need to know what operating system your Mac is running at the present time.

Jul 28, 2015 6:38 AM in response to lacdegeus

Arris WTM552B is a modem/router, so Bridge Mode on the Time Capsule would be the correct setting to work with the Arris modem/router and avoid the Double NAT error that you are now receiving.

Try the following.....

1) Set the Time Capsule to "Off (Bridge Mode)" and let it restart for a minute, then power it off

2) Power off the Arris modem/router and leave it off for at least 5 minutes

3) Make sure that the Ethernet cable connects from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Arris to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

4) Power up the Arris device and let it run for 5 minutes

5) Power up the Time Capsule and let ti run a few minutes

Check the network to see how things are behaving. If things still don't work, I'm out of ideas other than running the Time Capsule in DHCP and NAT mode and hoping that the Double NAT will not cause issues on the network.

Airport Time Capsule 3TB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.