Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 11.4 under Snow Leopard doesnot recognize itunes 12 library

hi,

I own a MBP mid 10 and after successive upgrades to Maverick and Yosemite 10.10.4

my system got so instable that i downgraded to my original Snow Leopard configuration.

I am running the lastest itunes version compatible with Snow Leopard i.e. itunes 11.4

itunes 11.4 doesnot recognize my itunes 12 library. Is there a way to fix it please ?

I have seen post how to revert from itunes 12 to itunes 11 but this doesnot adress my problem as I am running Snow Leopard and tehrefore deleted my Yosemite configuration.

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 5:38 AM

4 replies

Jul 27, 2015 5:47 AM in response to AppleScruff2014

It doesn't matter about OS change, it all has to do with the version of iTunes used.

Older versions of iTunes will not open a library once opened with a newer version. The best you can do (in the absence of a backup) is to rebuild the library using the .xml version of the library file. This will entail losing some data (play count, ratings, date added).

"If you don't see your content after updating iTunes" - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203225 - These instructions use a trimmed-down version of your library file to rebuild your primary library file. You lose some metadata (ratings, play count, date added) but the listing should be fairly up to date.

Jul 27, 2015 7:57 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks but the link you gave is of no help.

This doesnot work.

the situation was:

I backed up my itunes 12 folder in an external hard drive.

I deleted my Yosemite Mac HD and installed the original Snow Leopard OS on it.

I downloaded the most recent compatible itunes version 11.4.

I copied my back up itunes 12 folder on my hard drive, erasing the itunes 11.4 folder.

But itunes 11.4 doesnot recognize my Library.

Jul 27, 2015 8:38 AM in response to AppleScruff2014

If it isn't working you have to say why it isn't working. It is the standard resolution to this issue given in every downgrade article I have ever read. It works in many other situations where the .itl file is not a viable solution. If it isn't working for you there must be something specific in your case and you will need to tell us what that is if we are to solve this problem. As I already said, iTunes 11.4 will not open an iTunes library file after iTunes 12 has opened it. You will have to rebuild the main (.itl) library file using the .xml which should be importable to old iTunes.

itunes 11.4 under Snow Leopard doesnot recognize itunes 12 library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.