Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't see photos in albums after iphoto library imported

Photos for Mac imported the old iPhoto photo library. Many of the albums show white thumbnails and white photos. The album headers shows the correct number of photos. The thumbnail and photo outlines are visible, there is nothing in them. I can't view them.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 5:18 AM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2015 5:49 AM in response to BillT

Do the photos show, when you click the photos to enlarge them? Are only the thumbnails missing?

If the photos show correctly when you double click them to enlarge them, force Photos to recreate the thumbnails. You can do that by selecting all photos in an album atone and then rotating the photos back and forth. To rotate all selected photos at once enter the key combination ⌘R, and then ⌥⌘R to rotate the photos back.

If the photos do not show at all, if you try to enlarge them, post back with more information on your Photos library. Where is the library stored? How did you migrate your iPhoto Library to Photos?

Jul 27, 2015 5:01 PM in response to léonie

The photo library is 138 GB. It is located in my user Pictures folder. It was created by Migration Assistant from a time machine backup of a SnowLeopard iMac and iPhoto 9.x. Photos for Mac is on a new Mac Mini Yosemite. All of the HDs involved are 1TB drives and have more than 50% free space.

Out of about 45k photos, maybe 2k-5k of them are problems. The thumbnails and the photos are very light gray rectangles and show nothing when enlarged. I can Show Info for any of them though. The rebuild photo library was done but did not fix problem. Duplicating albums has not effect. Duplicating photos has no effect. Rotating photos does not bring back a picture.

Exporting these photos stops with an error.

Export 1 photo - The export operation failed to create a file for the photo identified below.

Errors - could not load file (1,019)

Export unmodified original - the export operation failed to create a file for the photo identified below.

Errors - The file blabla.jpg couldn’t be opened because there is n…

(I can’t resize the column to read all of the msg and it does not wrap or copy)

if one of the photos is selected and the “show edit tools” is chosen, Photo for Mac becomes unresponsive. Force Quit is necessary.

Have a few movies that do not have a file picture icon

Error - cannot play file - Photos cannot play this video because it cannot find the file.

But I can Show Info for the file.

Jul 27, 2015 11:58 PM in response to BillT

The photo library is 138 GB. It is located in my user Pictures folder. It was created by Migration Assistant from a time machine backup of a SnowLeopard iMac and iPhoto 9.x. Photos for Mac is on a new Mac Mini Yosemite. All of the HDs involved are 1TB drives and have more than 50% free space.

Migrating from different Mac may have caused the problem.

Do you still have the iMac in question? Then try to copy the iPhoto Library directly from the iMac. I would copy it to an external drive (with the file system "MacS Extended (Journaled)" and the "ignore ownership" flag set as described here: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users). Rebuild the library using the iPhoto Library First Aid Tools (iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library) before you migrate it to Photos. Do you iPhoto 9.6.1 installed on your current Mac? (to install see:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

)

If you no longer have your iMac, restore the library again using Time Machine and open the library first in iPhoto to check it, before you migrate it to Photos. If iPhoto's first aid tools cannot fix it, run iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild the library. Download the free trial here: http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Sometimes iPhoto Library Manager can reconnect broken links to the original files when iPhoto and Photos can't. But you need compatible version of iPhoto installed to be able to run iPhoto Library manger.

can't see photos in albums after iphoto library imported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.