Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allow More Ram MacBook Pro 1,1

Hello everyone, I have a concern. My dad recently gave me his MacBook Pro, I'm guessing is an early 2006 since it was introduced in febuary. I would like to find a way to make it so I can upgrade to more than 2 gb of ram, whether it's custom firmware or something like that. Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Early 2006, MacBook Pro 1,1

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 6:22 AM

11 replies

Jul 27, 2015 8:27 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hmm, I'm wondering if having a larger hard drive could have a better affect in performance. I am a minecraft gamer and I like to have the best performance and I know that macs with ATI cards are my favorite and have the best performance. I hate having the limitation of having less ram. But, is there a possible way to upgrade the vram to 512mb, it already has 256mb. The graphics card is the ati radeon x1600

Jul 28, 2015 2:53 AM in response to aneale2310

The model 1.1 MBP came with a ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 GPU. A NVIDIA GrForce 8600 GT was introduced with the 3.1 model MBP. I must assume that you are going to swap in a logic board from a newer MBP or are an artist with a soldering iron and replace just the NVIDIA GPU. I would be very interested which approach you are taking and the results.

Ciao.

Jul 29, 2015 5:47 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Dear OGELTHROPE, I understand your reply that you think the graphicds are soldered, but that is not what system profiler says. Take a look for yourself. It even tells me it is a gpu and the exact lane width

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068

Allow More Ram MacBook Pro 1,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.