Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad NOT CHARGING after IOS 8.4 update

Dear all, after IOS update from 8.3 to 8.4 ipad is unable to charge from USB port.

We have more than 30 ipads and with all of them we had the same problem, after update to IOS 8.4 we are not more able to charge the ipads.

Anyone had the same issue? maybe there are something official from Apple that explaine that after IOS update not allow no more to charge the ipads from USB port?

Any suggestions?

iPad Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 7:53 AM

7 replies

Jul 27, 2015 4:37 PM in response to airline23

There were some serious issues caused by off-brand cables and Apple was blamed. IOS-8 ensures that only approved cables will be used. However, it appears that it has been incorrectly identifying true Apple cables as non-approved!

If your cable is not Apple, your only option is to replace it with an Apple cable. If you do have an Apple cable, you need to contact Apple support - 800-275-2273 in the U.S.A. and I think Canada. If an Apple Store is convenient for you, a visit there is probably a better solution (there is no charge).

Aug 3, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Apple needs to fix this soon!

Using genuine Apple cable and USB port on my MacBook Pro (8.1) my ipad 4 will no longer charge after upgrading to IOS 8.4. Using same Apple USB to Lightning cable the same iPad works fine using an Apple charger. So the problem is not the cable - it is the fact that IOS 8.4 does not recognize an Apple MacBook Pro as being a valid power source.

Last week I upgraded my iPhone 6 plus from 8.3 to 8.4 and had a similar problem. USING A GENUINE APPLE USB TO LIGHTING CABLE my Iphone 6 plus went crazy when plugged into my Belkin 12v car charger. IPhone starts beeping and charging indicator flashed on and off rapidly. I thought there was something wrong with the Belkin charger and was about to replace it. BTW, my iPhone 6 plus charges fine with same USB cable when plugged into my MacBook Pro.

So Apple has some SERIOUS issues. 8.4 causes iPad not to charge with genuine Apple cable when plugged into MacBook Pro. And iPhone can't be charged using genuine Apple cable and Belkin 12v car charger. Not good news since Apple does not make a 12v charger and my iPhone 6 plus battery won't make it through the day without me plugging it into my car charger.

Apple - are you listening? Good! Looking forward to a fix.

ipad NOT CHARGING after IOS 8.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.