Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preparing an Early 2011 Macbook Pro (running Yosemite) for sale?

So I've erased the Macintosh HD disk and then went to reinstall Yosemite but it prompted me for an Apple ID. After researching a bit I've seen people say as Yosemite isn't transferrable across accounts I'd need to reinstall the original OS it came with, Snow Leopard. Only problem is when I boot the SL install disk it says the "this disk cannot be used to startup your computer" re: Macintosh HD. Not sure what to do as I don't want to put in my Apple ID. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 8:45 AM

2 replies

Jul 27, 2015 10:36 AM in response to technolliegy

Some 2010-2011 models shipped with OS X 10.6 and received a firmware update after 10.7 was released, enabling them to use Internet Recovery. If you have one of those models, you can't reinstall 10.6 even from the original media, and Internet Recovery will not work either without the original owner's Apple ID. In that case, contact Apple Support, or take the machine to an Apple Store or another authorized service provider to have the OS installed.

Preparing an Early 2011 Macbook Pro (running Yosemite) for sale?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.