Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't upgrade iPhoto Library

Running OSX 10.9.5.

I have iPhoto 9.5.1 installed.

Computer has 2 accounts: mine and my wife's.

IPhoto OK on my account, but on my wife's account get message that library need to be upgraded. Downloaded and installed iPhoto Library Upgrader. Didn't help.

What is wrong?

Thanks.

iPod touch, iOS 8.2

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 7:21 AM

9 replies

Jul 27, 2015 7:45 AM in response to owenfromnj

owenfromnj wrote:

Running OSX 10.9.5.

I have iPhoto 9.5.1 installed.

Computer has 2 accounts: mine and my wife's.

IPhoto OK on my account, but on my wife's account get message that library need to be upgraded. Downloaded and installed iPhoto Library Upgrader. Didn't help.

What is wrong?

Thanks.

What is the exact error message you are getting in your wife's account?

Does she have a separate iPhoto Library or are you trying to share one library? Where is the library located? If you are trying to share a library - you can only share a library between two users on the same mac, if the library is on an external drive as described in this support document:

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Otherwise you will get permission errors. Shared folders do not suffice for photo libraries with iPhoto 9.5.1.

Jul 27, 2015 7:34 PM in response to léonie

Error message is: To open your library with this version of iPhoto. It first need to be prepared. To prepare library use iPhoto Upgrader.

My wife has 2 separate iPhoto Libraries: one for 2013 and one for 2011/2.

I tried opening iPhoto holding down option key. I expected to see a choice between the above 2 libraries, but that was not the case. The only library shown was the default library in my account (iPhoto Library 2014).

I upgraded to a new mini about a year ago. I may not have accessed her iPhoto since then.

Owen

Jul 28, 2015 12:31 AM in response to owenfromnj

Just to be sure - you wrote: " Downloaded and installed iPhoto Library Upgrader. Didn't help.
What is wrong?"

But did you actually run the iPhoto Library Upgrader after you installed it? You need to open the older library in iPhoto Library Upgrader. Launch the Library Upgrader and select the second library.

The upgrader needs to be run, if the iphoto Library is an iPhoto 7.1.2 library or older. See: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

Jul 28, 2015 2:02 PM in response to léonie

leonie,

I did succeed. Thanks. Some comments:

This process is non-intuitive.

When installing the iPhoto Upgrader, it does not show directly under applications but Applications>Utilities. I probably should have guessed that.

In the Upgrader I had to select each of the two libraries and choose Open, which does not open the library. After that I think that I selected Continue which opened one of the libraries.

Before using Upgrader I was not able to open IPhoto, but I was able to look at the file list in Username>Pictures. The libraries were 9.something so I am not sure why all this was necessary.

Thanks,

Owen

Can't upgrade iPhoto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.