Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot restore my new iPhone 6

I cannot restore my new iPhone 6, because I am getting the following error. "The iPhone “iPhone” could not be restored. An unknown error
occurred (6)"

I have exhausted all available Apple trouble shooting, and it looks like the phone is yet again faulty (screen now just has the plug into iTunes logo, and that is it). The first iPhone 6 had to be returned as it had a loose screen, and now this one has to be returned as well.

Is there anything else I can do before sending it back ? (as I said I completed all available online troubleshooting from Apple). I have been unable to contact Apple telephone support.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 7:55 AM

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

If you're using a Windows PC, completely disable or remove any antivirus and firewall software you have installed. It can interfere with iTunes ability to authenticate to Apple's servers during the restore process.

Try it on a different computer.

Check your security software

Errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1611, 9006.

Sometimes security software can stop your device from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your device.

Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't blocking a connection to the Apple servers.

If you still see the error message, check for USB connection issues.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 7:55 AM in response to peterfinbar

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

If you're using a Windows PC, completely disable or remove any antivirus and firewall software you have installed. It can interfere with iTunes ability to authenticate to Apple's servers during the restore process.

Try it on a different computer.

Check your security software

Errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1611, 9006.

Sometimes security software can stop your device from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your device.

Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't blocking a connection to the Apple servers.

If you still see the error message, check for USB connection issues.

I cannot restore my new iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.