Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What else is stored in iPhone>iCloud>Storage>Backup>Photo Library

I've asked this before in different ways and it seems nobody seems to be really sure.

I've looked at the documentation and have not been able to find what exactly is stored in this specific category of data being backed up:

iPhone>

Settings>

iCloud>

Storage>

Manage Storage>

This iPhone>

Photo Library!

My iCloud Photo Library is turned off, so Im not backing up anything extra to the cloud.

Technically the only thing being backed up to my iCloud account from my iPhone's Photos should be the Camera Roll, right?

But I sync my phone with iTunes and delete all imported pictures almost daily now. My Camera Roll is empty, yet I get 636MB of Photo Library being backed up:

User uploaded file

One other thing, why is WhaysApp backed up when if I go to WhatsApp and Settings, Backups are turned off?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2, iOS8

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 9:37 AM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2015 1:36 PM in response to Winston Churchill

OK I'm not quite sure if I follow.

You're saying that backups actually contain the last 3 backups? And I have data in my camera roll each time. So if in my backup - 3 I had:

100mb

And in backup - 2 I had:

200 mb

And in backup - 1 I had:

300 mb

Then it has 600mb stored.

So I would need to make 3 backups with nothing in the camera roll so that it drops to 0mb?

What else is stored in iPhone>iCloud>Storage>Backup>Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.