Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes to midi file for garageBand

Is there a way I can look at a musical score put in a note notation such as(f a c e e g b d f) with a note duration such as 1 1/2 1/8 etc and convert it to a midi file?

I was using RTTL and a conversion program but the results were not very good. I tried using the score editor in garageband but it was very tedious.

Mac Pro, IMovie on Macbook Pro

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 12:01 PM

The Score Editor in GarageBand is limited but not tedious. Once you are aware what you can do and what not, then you can be really quick entering notes.

Select the Staff (Treble, Bass, Piano)

Select the default Note Length (Instert menu)

Create a new note: Command+clicking on the staff (time position and pitch depends on your click position)

Edit existing Notes: Drag the note to a new time or pitch position or drag the duration bar (of the selected note) to change the duration of the note

Tip:hen moving/dragging the note or the duration, hold down the control key for a finer resolution (increments)

User uploaded file

I explain all the details of GarageBand's Score editor with lots of diagrams and illustration sin my graphically enhanced book "GarageBand X - How it Works"

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 12:01 PM in response to larryfromwappingersfalls

The Score Editor in GarageBand is limited but not tedious. Once you are aware what you can do and what not, then you can be really quick entering notes.

Select the Staff (Treble, Bass, Piano)

Select the default Note Length (Instert menu)

Create a new note: Command+clicking on the staff (time position and pitch depends on your click position)

Edit existing Notes: Drag the note to a new time or pitch position or drag the duration bar (of the selected note) to change the duration of the note

Tip:hen moving/dragging the note or the duration, hold down the control key for a finer resolution (increments)

User uploaded file

I explain all the details of GarageBand's Score editor with lots of diagrams and illustration sin my graphically enhanced book "GarageBand X - How it Works"

Hope that helps

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Jul 31, 2015 3:58 PM in response to larryfromwappingersfalls

larryfromwappingersfalls wrote:

I downloaded your book to iBooks. It showed me a way to create a blank midi file so that I could use the score editor but it puts in the rest values and sometimes puts in a sharp a flat. Is there a way to delete these items?

GarageBand creates the Rests and the Accidentals (sharp symbols and flat symbols) automatically:

Rests

GarageBand creates the Rests based on the notes that exist in each bar (Region). Lets say the length of a Region is one bar and there are no notes in that Region, then the Score Editor will only display Rests with the value of the entire bar, for example 4 quarters value for a 4/4 time signature. Once you enter a note in that Region, GarageBand will place that note with its appropriate length value and changes the Rests so they "make sense musically", which means add up to the bar value with the right time position. This may sound complicated, but if you know how musical notation works, then it all makes sense.

Accidentals

GarageBand also places the sharp and flat symbols automatically. They are based on the Key Signature you set for your Project. Click on the Key Signature in the Control Bar, which opens a list of the different Key Signatures. This also makes musical sense. You cannot change any accidentals if you want to change an F-sharp to a G-flat. At that point you are at the mercy of GarageBand or you have to upgrade to Logic where you can do virtually anything when it comes to music notation.

Hope that helps

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Notes to midi file for garageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.