Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini won't turn on. Shows the charge battery symbol even when fully charged. No apple icon will appear. Please help.

I have an iPad mini 16 GB Wi-Fi Only that is less than 2 years old that will not turn on after charging. It will show the charge battery symbol when I try to turn it on even though it has 100% battery. It has been doing this for months now, and will randomly decide when it will turn on, and when it does, it will show a full battery and I can use it the entire day, but it will sometimes shut off completely again and show the charge battery symbol again. It has been getting worse and worse until finally I haven't been able to turn it on for two days. It is fully charged, but no Apple icon will appear. I've tried holding the Home and Power button at the same time, but the result is the same. I've tried charging with the USB as well, but no results. Can anyone please give any suggestions as to what the problem could be. I'm furious because I got it Christmas 2013, so it hasn't even been in use for 2 years, its never been damaged or misused. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

iPad Mini

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2018 10:57 AM

I found a workaround for this problem (NOT a solution)! In one of the other threads (I'd link it if I could find it again), someone suggested using a hairdryer to warm up the back of the iPad (the battery contained within). I was desperate, so I tried it and it works! Consistently. Take off any cover you're using and hold the hairdryer 10-12 inches from the back of the iPad. Warm it for 30-ish seconds and you should now be able to boot your iPad if the battery has a charge.

It's a pain-in-the-*** but less so than an iPad that won't boot.

This is specifically for the issue of an Apple iPad not booting and showing the out of charge alert when it does in fact have a charged battery.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2018 10:57 AM in response to mwinn88

I found a workaround for this problem (NOT a solution)! In one of the other threads (I'd link it if I could find it again), someone suggested using a hairdryer to warm up the back of the iPad (the battery contained within). I was desperate, so I tried it and it works! Consistently. Take off any cover you're using and hold the hairdryer 10-12 inches from the back of the iPad. Warm it for 30-ish seconds and you should now be able to boot your iPad if the battery has a charge.

It's a pain-in-the-*** but less so than an iPad that won't boot.

This is specifically for the issue of an Apple iPad not booting and showing the out of charge alert when it does in fact have a charged battery.

Dec 6, 2017 12:28 AM in response to mwinn88

I get this a lot too. I also experienced similar with my kid's Hudl's (Android tablets sold in UK). I suspect there is a common chip in both that gets in incorrect state sometimes.

With iPad I think it may be worth restore to factory defaults and then restore from backup. Though I haven't tried this myself I will do and see if it addresses other issues to - slow keyboard and shorter battery life with iOS11.

Dec 24, 2017 2:59 AM in response to WGQ

I tried to and didn’t help.

But, what I have discovered is that this may only happen when I leave the ipad on charge overnight. If I charge it before I go to bed and leave it unplugged over night it’s working fine in the morning. I have tried this about ten times then, last night I left it on charge and it showed the charge battery symbol. Also, prior to this I had left it on charge at night and had seen the charge battery symbol three days in a row.

I don’t know if the fault could be related to just going over midnight (currently on GMT)

or being on charge for too long (wouldn’t leave it charged that long during day).

Jan 8, 2018 1:47 AM in response to WGQ

I have discovered that this happens when the iPad is left on charge for a time (yet to be determined) after it has reached 100%. In one location (where it has happened many times) that it has happened on my iPad mini I have had a 3rd party MFI-certified charger and cable and the other an Apple charger and a 3rd party MFI-certified cable.

So I am wondering if, when the charge gets to 100% the iPad has been unable to tell charger to stop and this causes an issue,

By by the way, when it does happen I get the iPad to boot by remiving powerful cable then either by just holding the power button (for up to a minute) or if that does t work holding power button then insert power cable and continue to hold power button. Sometimes I have to do latter two or three time but eventually ipad boots.

Jan 24, 2018 11:59 AM in response to WGQ

I can confirm the hairdryer trick works, we also have the iPad issue where it shows out of charge 0% when actually fully charged with 100% "bug-0-100". Although we try to avoid fully charging it to avoid the issue (which seems to happen every time it reaches 100%).

I wonder what alternatives all the affected Apple iPad users have to taking a hairdryer with them wherever they go.

Someone suggested a cup-warmer but I have found ca. 30 seconds of hairdryer is needed to get the iPad working again. The alternative by forcing reboots I have found to work but time consuming (up to 10 minutes) and require multiple if not numerous attempts before the iPad can be used again.

I have found a small travel hairdryer from Braun which does the trick for now and has now to be kept as an iPad "accessory".

I am pleased to report that the iPad has so far responded favorably despite the hairdryer being non-Apple-certified :-)

iPad mini won't turn on. Shows the charge battery symbol even when fully charged. No apple icon will appear. Please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.