Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to view media on a TV using an Apple Device?

What cables/connectors are required to view media on a TV?

I have two different Apple devices to use: MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008) version running Yosemite V. 10.10.4

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB

and

iPad : 3rd Generation MD334LL/A with Retina Display

Bluetooth enabled - but the TV were are currently using in our leased space does not have functioning Bluetooth

The TV is a not Apple TV, not a smart TV and we do not have Roku.

If you can advise on the hardware/ cable needed, can you suggest a good place to purchase them? Apple Store?

Please let me know if there is any key info I've left out.

Thank you very much.

Diane

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 10:25 AM

1 reply

Jul 29, 2015 9:17 AM in response to 1997nebbiolo

Howdy Diane,

If you want to use your TV as to display content from your Apple devices, there are a number of ways that you can do so, depending on what type of input your TV is able to accept. For that information, consult the documentation for your TV.

Your MacBook Pro has dual link DVI video output which may be used by some televisions directly, or it may use DVI to VGA adapter. See the specifications page for your MacBook Pro here - MacBook Pro (Early 2008 and Late 2008) - Technical Specifications

Your iPad can connect to a TV using several different methods. It supports video mirroring and video out with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter as well as video out with Apple Composite AV Cable. See the specs sheet for this iPad - iPad (3rd generation) - Technical Specifications

If you TV can connect to and use the Apple TV, you can also use that to connect the iPad. More information about the Apple TV is here - Apple - Apple TV - HD iTunes content and more on your TV.

All of the above cables are available through the Apple Store online. Many may be in the Apple retail stores.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best to you.

how to view media on a TV using an Apple Device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.