Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does a video clip added to a Media Well in a Theme not play (it shows a still of the clip)

I'm working on FCPX v10.1.4, using Text Theme with 4 media drop zones, a.k.a. "Media Wells." The theme I'm using is called "Activate." I managed to fill 3/4 of the media wells successfully, but one of them, when I add my video clip, only plays back a low-res-looking still from the clip, rather than the actual moving image. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I tried to create a Compound Clip in the timeline (Project) and use that instead, both by clicking on it in the 1) Clips browser, and, 2) directly in the timeline. Neither worked, they yielded the same results.

Any solutions out there?

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), FCPX v10.1.4

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 10:25 AM

9 replies

Jul 29, 2015 9:54 AM in response to Russ H

Hi Rus,

Thanks for those suggestions. I suppose Activate is a theme which was discontinued after my version. Anyway, I always have Create Optimized Media checked off on my import settings, so the clip should already be optimized. As mentioned, the clips in the other 4 Media Wells/Drop Zones worked just fine. The only thing I can think of is that the other clips were comps from one stock media website (Dissolve) and, this is the only clip from a different stock media website (Pond5). To your knowledge, could this be a possible reason I'm having difficulty? I wonder if I go ahead and buy the clip, if the problem will go away. But I would like to see how it looks first, before I buy it!

Thanks again.

Aug 20, 2015 9:25 AM in response to ilanarivkah

Update:

I am still having issues with this. I haven't been able to identify a common thread amongst times when this issue arises. What I mean is that I've used certain clips in a media well (drop zone) without a problem. I can also create a new project (timeline) of multiple clips and make a compound clip out of them, and use that successfully in the media well. But sometimes when I make a compound clip involving other clips, even ones which did not pose a problem on their own, when I drop that into the media well, the image will stay frozen on one frame when played back inside the theme, rather than playing the new compound clip in real time.

If anyone can relate and offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

best,

Why does a video clip added to a Media Well in a Theme not play (it shows a still of the clip)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.