Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage recommendations needed- video editing

I'm looking at a Mac Pro and need some good options for storage. I'm not going to spend the money on upgrading the internal PCI-e to 1TB, so I'm getting the base 256gb configuration for the OS, Apps, and Parallels / Virtual machines.

Currently I have a 128gb SSD for the OS etc, and have my Users folder mapped to a internal 7200RPM 1TB drive. It works beautifully, but since Apple took out the option to add hard drives...... I don't know what to do.

As the subject says- this will be for video editing. I need at least 500gb of additional storage, but 1TB would be more comfortable. I'd also like to possibly map some user folders to the external- likely Desktop, Documents, Dropbox, Pictures, Music, and Movies.

So on to my questions.

#1. Would a USB 3.0 external SSD or even 7200RPM drive be fast enough to work with video editing? I assume it would be about as fast as an internal HDD/SSD right? Or no?

#2. Mapping... is the way I'd like to do it a good/bad idea? What's the best option for wanting to retain saving to particular locations, but having them actually stored on a larger drive? Or... would it be better to just form new habits on where I save things?

Thank you for any and all feedback!

PS- Can I use Crucial RAM or do I need the much higher priced Apple provided in a BTO config?

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 11:48 AM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2015 1:08 PM in response to mattd313

The internal "SSD" is PCIe-SSD blade of ~1100MB/sec. Newer SM951's of same design are capable of 1500MB/sec or about 10x faster than a hdd.

So some regret buying with the small 256GB. You can go to ebay and find 1TB units. Adding to Thunderbolt2 expansion and using 1-3 blades out there is possible, though not cheap. And some want those fast units.

USB3 is "okay" for one drive but not more than one - and looking for optimum performance.

128GB you have now is 'enough?' Using hdd now? or not doing video currently. FCP-X primarily or something else?

For the things you list: OS, Apps, and Parallels / Virtual machines - VMs can go anywhere and not always need to be on the boot drive to save room and they don't need high performance.

I wish Apple had made 512GB PCIe-SSD cheaper AND the base size. ebay prices on new Samsung blades are better.

Jul 27, 2015 1:31 PM in response to The hatter

Yea it's enough.

I have:

128GB SSD- OS X and all Apps

1TB 7200RPM- User folder (all storage)

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CC.

Why is USB3 only okay for one drive? I would likely want a 2TB Time Machine drive and a 500GB-1TB external storage drive.

Do you (or anyone else reading) have any recommendations for the mapping of the user folders? I wouldn't map the whole thing, just where my files are stored. Not sure a.) how to do this and b.) if it should be done at all.

Thanks again.

Storage recommendations needed- video editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.