Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will there ever be an official imessage app for android?

I would like to continue using imessage but my 4th generation ipod touch is becoming too outdated for most uses so I am looking for a new device, probably a phone. iphones are out of my price range and I intend on buying an iphone in the future so it would be good if I could continue using imessage while I use a cheaper android phone for the next couple of years and then come back to iphones in the future. I feel at the moment that this is a one of a number of ways in which I will be locked out, figuratively, of ios if I choose to use another operating system even just for a few years.

So it would be great to know if there is a planned imessage app for android.

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 11:53 AM

5 replies

Apr 22, 2017 8:32 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

I think it is a good concept,the idea of making the app suitable for android could help Apple significantly in the long run. It would increase their revenue, plus they could potentially take over messaging as we know it. I would also like to see FaceTime on other devices as well. I myself am writing this on an iPhone and use macOS as my daily driver, but in the past, I have had to resort to using an android phone and wanted to have iMessage and FaceTime because it was much easier and intuitive.

Jul 27, 2015 11:57 AM in response to joey.gold

To be honest, I don't see this happening. I do not see Apple creating an app to utilize their own private messaging service on an Android device. Also, this is a user to user support forum, and until Apple makes an announcement, we have no idea what is coming out. And, under the terms of service for the forum, speculation on Apple products is prohibited. So, we couldn't discuss it anyway.

Jul 27, 2015 12:01 PM in response to joey.gold

There will not be an iMessage app for android for a few reasons one it that if there was an iMessage app for android then peaoe that really like iMessage could just use android devices and still be able to use iMessage also imes would require an iTunes account which would make the android device alot more like an apple device and lastly imessage is apples own pattented messaging system and it will not be on android sorry

Will there ever be an official imessage app for android?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.