Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto File Recovery

I just tried to recover my iPhoto file from an external hard drive onto my Mac Mini running Yosemite 10.10.4. When I clicked on it, it gave me the message that the folder "Pictures" can't be opened because I don't have permission to see its contents.

I also noticed a little red dot on the corner of the folder as well as on "Documents, Downloads, Movies and Music". Will that mean I wouldn't be able to open those either?

As a test, I first tried the recover procedure on my MacBook Air running Yosemite 10.10.3 and it worked like a charm with no such message. What gives?

Another question:

When I finally get to drag the file to the Hard Drive does it stay "iPhoto" or does it become "Photos?"

What a mess. I hate this new Photos app. I don't want all my photos on every device - only on my Main computer.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 12:00 PM

1 reply

Jul 27, 2015 12:08 PM in response to emeraldsr

I just tried to recover my iPhoto file from an external hard drive onto my Mac Mini running Yosemite 10.10.4. When I clicked on it, it gave me the message that the folder "Pictures" can't be opened because I don't have permission to see its contents.

I also noticed a little red dot on the corner of the folder as well as on "Documents, Downloads, Movies and Music". Will that mean I wouldn't be able to open those either?

How did these files and folders get there? Are they part of a back up? If so, remember how to restore from a back up depends entirely on how the back up is made.

As a test, I first tried the recover procedure on my MacBook Air running Yosemite 10.10.3 and it worked like a charm with no such message. What gives?

Sounds like a question for the forum for whatever app made the back up.

Another question:

When I finally get to drag the file to the Hard Drive does it stay "iPhoto" or does it become "Photos?"

Again, a question for the back up software forum, but restoring a back up shouldn't change anything.

What on earth does this have to do with the new Photos app? And setting that up to only work on your main computer is simple.

iPhoto File Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.