Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble Exporting from iMove 10.0.9

iMovie has worked great for a long time, but lately:

When I go to export a file (even if the movie only lasts a few seconds), the circle in the upper right corner does not fill in. If I click on it, it says "writing [filename]", but the file is never written. So eventually (I have waited for hours just to see if it would ever finish) I quit iMovie. When I do, iMove crashes. When I start iMovie again, I can now normally export a file and the circle will fill in normally. But the next time I try to export a file, I am once again into Endless Writing mode and the circle does not fill in. So I quit, crash, open iMovie and export the file. In summary, I have to crash iMovie before I can save a file.

I restarted, used the Disk Utility which was no improvement, and I quit all other open apps, just to see if that would help, but nothing seems to get me out of this cycle. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 10:02 AM

2 replies

Aug 3, 2015 3:56 AM in response to Bruce Long

The problem kept getting worse until I was unable to export anything. So I found something that finally worked: creating a new Library, starting iMovie with the option key down, and only loading the new library.

If I want to export something from my old library, I load both libraries, open the old movie, select all, copy, close the movie, go to the new library, open a new movie, paste. When I am ready to export, restart iMovie and don't load the old library. The version in the new library exports fine.

Trouble Exporting from iMove 10.0.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.