Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When is apple going to fix split stereo files not working in Logic X

I'm a professional user of Logic since version 1.6. In all of the versions on Logic since they incorporated audio you have been able to edit and work with split stereo files. What idiot thought it was a good idea to get rid of that? Some of us work on consoles and need stereo files to be in even/odd pairs of outputs rather than odd even pairs. Some of us even need to disconnect the split files and edit them separately like we've been able to do in every version of Logic up until 10.0.5. Please fix this in the next update.

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 11:07 AM

9 replies

Jul 27, 2015 12:40 PM in response to themusiclabnyc

This is the new procedure in LPX:

LPX will always create an interleaved audio file (Audio Region) when importing a multi-channel audio file that is "formatted". With formatted I mean, a stereo file or any other multi-channel file that uses a surround format (i.e. 5.1). The only exception is if you have a non-formatted multi-channel file, for example a field recorder used in movie production. In that case, Logic extracts the individual channels as individual audio files (Audio Regions). with the option how to place those Regions:

User uploaded file

If you have split mono files with the common channel extensions (.L .R .LS .C etc), then Logic will create an interleaved audio file (Audio Region) when you import such a file.

A cumbersome way to extract split-mono files from a stereo file:

• Import the file
  • In the Project Audio Window, control+click on the the Audio File and select "Copy/convert" command. Choose the "Interleaved to Split" option
  • Very important: don't check the "Add resulting files to Project Audio". This would import the split fils again as an interleaved files.
  • Another important step: Change the channel extension (.L and .R) on the files after you exported them. Otherwise, Logic would again create an interleaved file upon import
  • Now finally, import the split mono files into Logic as separate files

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 27, 2015 3:06 PM in response to themusiclabnyc

themusiclabnyc wrote:

They should fix this. It's unprofessional and frankly total ********.

First of all, if Apple did this on purpose and it is not a bug, then I don't think they will follow your reasoning of "fixing" it.

Apple chose to do it this way, maybe for the reason Pancenter pointed out. The only way to convince Apple of your understanding of professional vs. unprofessional, is to get enough professionals behind you and have them all send their opinion via the officialLogic Feedback channel. But even then, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Jul 27, 2015 4:56 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Like I said I've been a Logic user since version 1.6. In the beginning Logic only worked with spit stereo files, interleaved files happened later. For professionals who use a console, this is a giant pita. If they made it so you could assign even /odd output pairs instead of only odd even, it would be reasonable. But even with that, sometimes I get remix jobs where I'll get a pile of interleaved files, the problem often is users in other platforms often send stereo files regardless of if the file really is in stereo or not which is a waste of a channel if it's really in mono. I know it's not a bug but the fact of the matter is pro users often have to deal with files from other platforms, and for the first time they just made it so you can't really use their program to address this. It's not merely supporting Pro Tools it's also supporting Pro users.

Jul 27, 2015 9:16 PM in response to themusiclabnyc

themusiclabnyc wrote:

just made it so you can't really use their program to address this. It's not merely supporting Pro Tools it's also supporting Pro users.

I agree completely, but Apple has been moving away from that kind of user for quite some time. They've always preferred a closed system. I've been a Logic user almost as long as you have, a MIDI only version of Logic 2.0, didn't upgrade to an audio until version 3 or 3.5. That kind of support is no longer seen as feasible, pro users are mainly trouble makers. :-) Seriously, the past version releases of Logic (versions 9 and X) had to go through several revisions before becoming stable on Apple's current operating systems. Users have been demoted to beta testers.

When is apple going to fix split stereo files not working in Logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.