Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SIRI does not work without headphones

Due to a separate error with my iPhone6+, I brought my phone into Apple Store to get it swapped. Now, it's been 2.5 months later and SIRI stopped working - that is, it appears only to work when I use headphones. There appears to be a number of other people with the issue but has anyone found a solution?

iPhone 5

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 11:17 AM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2015 1:05 PM in response to clarkkent27

Unfortunately, that didn't work. And if you do a search on the web, there are 100's of other people experiencing the exact same thing that have tried that themselves among many other attempted solutions. This seems to be an Apple issue for which no one is acknowledging. The mic works for calls, but it seems that something is wrong with SIRI and not sure what's conflicting it.

Jul 31, 2015 3:29 PM in response to WildWex

I went to the Apple Store (Topanga Canyon, CA - July 2015) since I've seen this issue a number of times. It turns out that the iPhone6 Plus has 3 microphones! (learned this from the Apple representative on the sales floor)

1. the phone has a mic which is close to your mouth when you hold the phone up to your ear
  2. the phone as a mic for the back camera
  3. the phone as a mic for the facetime camera

Why is this important other than having better audio-reception? Because it addresses why specific functions like 'voice command' and 'phone operations' work without a headset and why SIRI only worked with a headset.

SPECIFICALLY, Siri uses the 'Facetime Mic'. To test this, I recorded a facetime video and then played it back. The video looked good but the audio was loud & garbled. Clearly, the Facetime Mic was experiencing a hardware issue, and thusly, Apple replaced 'the screen' (which includes that mic) in order to enable Siri to work without the need of headphones, as it should.

There are many other postings out on the web regarding people experiencing this issue "Siri working only with headphones". When using Siri without headphones, the 'wave bar' that appears on the bottom would 'wave' as of I was talking, even in a silent room! As this was a hardware issue with the facetime mic, now it makes sense.

I hope this helps others whom may have experienced similar problems.

TO TEST: Record a Facetime Video (use the Facetime camera). Play it back. If the audio is garbled, then it might explain why Siri is not working without headphones.

-- WEX

SIRI does not work without headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.