Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I use a new user account name with my new mac?

I use a MBP and am getting a new iMac but want to use both macs. What is recommended for setting up usernames, account names etc. and how do I deal with my time machine? I should be able to use migration assistant to get all I want from my MBP. But the new iMac will be my daily use at office and want to use time machine for backups (theoretically just continue backups where they left off). Maybe I should just get a new drive for time machine and start over?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 2:36 PM

4 replies

Jul 27, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Csound1

My question about naming user accounts stems from this info found in migration assistance help:

"If your new Mac already has a user account with the same name as one you're trying to transfer, Migration Assistant lets you decide what to do. You can either replace the existing user on your new Mac, or give the user you're migrating a new account name.

Selecting the option to replace an existing user overwrites that user's Home folder on your new Mac. This can be convenient if you just set up your new Mac using the same account name and of your important data is still on your original Mac. Don't select the option to replace the existing user unless you're certain you don't have any important files stored in this user's Home folder on your new Mac."

It is just me using both computers. Seems like it would be okay to use same name. (less chance of me forgetting). I wish the help would tell us what to expect if we did this or that rather than just giving options. I see that replacing existing user doesn't seem to be a good idea though.

Should I use a new user account name with my new mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.