Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Range Extension Problem

After I set up my Airport Exreme (2nd Gen) to extend an existing network successfully, and placing it where I would like the wifi signal to be stronger and more stable, my signal stays the same as before I set up the Airport. Even if I´m standing next to the airport I have very low signal.

Just to be clear of certain things, the main router is not apple (the one provided by the company); I´ve set the Airport up with windows through airport utility to extend an existing network wirelesly. After i plugged the Airport in the spot I wanted it to be the Green light is on.

Everything seems to be working fine, but i dont actually extend anything.Since I have followed every step of the setup succesfully i cant understand why this isnt working. Any suggestions as from what is happening or how to solve this?

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 12:04 PM

1 reply

Jul 27, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Juancher

Sorry, but unfortunately, the AirPort Extreme cannot wirelessly extend a network from a non-Apple router if that is what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure how you set up your AirPort, but whatever you did, it will not wirelessly extend the wireless signal unless it is being provided by another Apple router.

It is possible to have the AirPort Extreme extend the wireless network if you connect an Ethernet cable from the "main" router to the AirPort Extreme. But, you would not use the "extend a wireless network" setting for that. That setting is only used when the Extreme connects to another Apple router using a wireless connection....not Ethernet.

If you can establish a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection from your "main" router to the AirPort Extreme, you can extend the network that way. Post back if you want more details about this.

Airport Extreme Range Extension Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.