Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4S speaker on the phone turns on and I can't turn it off

My 4S iPhone when I call out or answer an incoming call, the speaker is on and I cannot turn it off. Everyone can hear my phone call. How do I turn the speaker off?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 1:17 PM

3 replies

Jul 29, 2015 11:37 AM in response to graciegirlmax

Hi graciegirlmax,

I understand you are unable to turn the speaker off on your iPhone. The troubleshooting article below will provide some basic steps to try to resolve this:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203794

• Restart your device.
  • Connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it. The sound should revert back to your internal. You should only hear the speaker if you tap the speaker icon on your iPhone during a call.

Gracie, if these first two steps don't resolve the issue, then try these:

• Update your device to the latest version of iOS.
  • Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  • If you follow these steps and still are only hearing sounds through the speaker when you are on a telephone call, contact us.

Take care,

May 23, 2016 4:16 PM in response to judysings

Newest system "upgrade" is maddening because the programmers left off the code that would allow us to stitch back and forth between the speaker and handset by touching the speaker icon. Once you switch to the speaker during a call, you are stuck. My experience is that you CANNOT go back off speaker to the handset on the iphone4. This makes the iphone now unusable in a public place. "Restarting the device" is not a practical option nor is connecting a headset. Cripes, Apple. Just fix the code.

The older system allowed flawless back and forth. Apple seems more and more inclined to release "upgrades" for "security" that are actually downgrades in functionality. Seems to be a rush to get out the latest and greatest that takes precedence over getting rid of bugs.

4S speaker on the phone turns on and I can't turn it off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.