Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Etrecheck output

Hi. I just bought a used macbook pro that was freshly reloaded and I want to make sure the guy I bought it from didn't leave any loggers,etc on the system.

I ran etrecheck and I've included the results here:

Problem description:

New system, new to Macs. I want to make sure that the person I bought this from didn’t leave any root kits or key loggers on the system

EtreCheck version: 2.2 (132)

Report generated 7/27/15, 2:33 PM

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7, 13" (Late 2012)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro10,2

1 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core

8 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 7 - SN = D862425P5TFF9557B

Video Information: ℹ️

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Color LCD 2560 x 1600

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.9.5 (13F1096) - Time since boot: one day 0:49:55

Disk Information: ℹ️

APPLE SSD SM128E disk0 : (121.33 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh SSD (disk0s2) / : 120.99 GB (92.53 GB free)

USB Information: ℹ️

SanDisk Ultra 16.01 GB

EFI (disk1s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Yosemite Install (disk1s2) /Volumes/Yosemite Install : 15.66 GB (15.63 GB free)

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

None

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.1.0 [Click for support]

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

None

Time Machine: ℹ️

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

Destinations:

Mavericks Programs [Local]

Total size: 0 B

Total number of backups: 0

Oldest backup: -

Last backup: -

Size of backup disk: Excellent

Backup size 0 B > (Disk size 0 B X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

102% mtmd

49% Google Chrome Helper(6)

37% mds_stores

30% mds

11% storeagent(2)

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

860 MB Google Chrome Helper(6)

722 MB kernel_task

279 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent(5)

188 MB Finder(2)

172 MB softwareupdated

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

1.65 GB Free RAM

6.30 GB Used RAM

1 MB Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Jul 26, 2015, 01:43:37 PM Self test - passed

I there another place to post these to get the output interpreted? I don't see anything flagged as a problem except for the amount of CPU taken up by mtmd which is the time machine daemon.

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 1:37 PM

This is not the right thing for that purpose. What you need to do is completely repartition and reformat the drive then install your own copy of OS X and your software. Here's what you need to do:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 1:37 PM in response to DMK512

This is not the right thing for that purpose. What you need to do is completely repartition and reformat the drive then install your own copy of OS X and your software. Here's what you need to do:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

Jul 27, 2015 1:45 PM in response to DMK512

This may be yours?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.5- 13-late-2012-retina-display-specs.html

First, I don't see anything such as cleaning apps installed - which is a good thing. When buying a used Mac, it is best to get it from a seller who follows the licensing agreement terms and wipes the entire hard drive to reinstall the original OS. If the above is yours, it had Mountain Lion on it. It now has Mavericks - did you upgrade to that or was that on there? If you did not, then he gave you the machine with an OS installed with its license tied to his Apple ID as anything downloaded from the app store is NOT transferable and must be removed when selling/gifting. You can run it with that OS installed; however, it may present a problem when trying to reinstall or updating any components as the Apple ID might be required.

So, since yours should have come with Mountain Lion, you do have recovery - use it (Command + R during boot up) to connect to Apple's servers. Once in the Utilities screen, use Disk Utility to wipe the drive and then reinstall the original OS. You can then update using your own Apple ID.

Etrecheck output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.