Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't play quicktime videos

User uploaded file

This video is unavailable.

Adobe Flash Player or QuickTime is required for video playback.
Get the latest Flash Player
Get the latest version of QuickTime

That's the error I get when trying to watch a quicktime video on YouTube. I have YouTube set for html5, yet that doesn't come up automatically. I need help, anyone? I'm running the latest OS and Safari on a year old iMac 27" with fusion drive

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 2:35 PM

4 replies

Jul 29, 2015 9:44 AM in response to therickster

Same here. I also have the latest versions, OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 and Safari 8.0.7. The only workaround I have is: Developer Tab > User Agent > Pick one of this:

Safari iOS 8.1 - iPhone

Safari iOS 8.1 - iPod Touch

Safari iOS 8.1 - iPad

The iPhone and iPod Touch don't let you choose resolutions, the iPad let you choose from 240p to 720p (no further), because it is a mobile version. I'm not sure why 1080p can't be a selection, because of iPhone 6 plus resolution, I don't know the reason behind it.

It's just a workaround that allows you to see YouTube videos at 720p as top resolution (despite the video it is available in 4K, for instance). You have to switch to mobile if doesn't redirect you automatically, press play and then choose the resolution (the option appears after you press play).

As far as I know, Apple just don't know how this happened nor how to fix it. I just hope any Apple worker can enlighten me.

PS: Excuse me if I have gramatical errors, english is not my native language.

Jul 30, 2015 7:21 AM in response to Albert J. (Review)

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

Safari won't play quicktime videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.