Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Apple watch for runners I don't want to Carried the iPhone

What's the best app for runners with out the phone? I went to play soccer and only got 79 feet as a distance way off affter 1.30 min work out,very disappointed

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 1:42 PM

6 replies

Jul 28, 2015 6:00 AM in response to Jalba3

today I wore two watches ,the Garmin 610 and the apple watch to my soccer pic up,Sorry but apple got to work harder

garmin= 2.88 Distace. With out heart rate 252 calories

APple =. 264 ft distance 445 cal

apple/activity=. 489 cal. 6624 steps. Total Distance 0.53 MI.

IM 5.7 short legs Google said 2000 steps per mil@ 6624 steps=3.312 Mil so is more then 2.88 from Garmin and more calories,but Garmin is very acurate on distance

the outdoor Run Work out was horrible in distance only 264 ft way off 1 mil=5280

APple please get to work!!! We need a watch for ALL TRADES, RUNNERS DONT TAKE MUCH WHEN RUNNING AND GPS IS MISSING BIG TIME ON A VERY EXPENSIVE APPLE WATCH......... THE NEW GARMIN IS ONLY $250

Jul 28, 2015 1:11 PM in response to Jalba3

Jalba3 wrote:

... I went to play soccer and only got 79 feet as a distance way off affter 1.30 min work out,very disappointed

1.30 minutes is an insufficient amount to result in accurate calibration. From the User Guide:

"Your iPhone GPS allows Apple Watch to achieve even more distance accuracy. For example, if you carry iPhone while using the Workout app on a run, Apple Watch uses the iPhone GPS to calibrate your stride. Then later, if you’re not carrying iPhone, or if you’re working out where GPS is unavailable (for example, indoors), Apple Watch uses the stored information about your stride to measure distance."

Also, read Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support.

Jul 28, 2015 1:03 PM in response to G3gator

start and stop things like soccer, tennis and the like, it would probably need the iPhone along to get the proper distance.

For stop and start with tennis, anyway, distance isn't really all that important. I find setting it to "Other" under the workout choices works just fine for tracking the Active Calories burned while playing tennis. I would think that would be useful in soccer as well, although I'll grant that a soccer player covers a lot more distance during a full game than most tennis players do in a match.

Is Apple watch for runners I don't want to Carried the iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.