Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect iMac to hdmi tv

I want to connect my iMac to the HDMI input of a Sony KDL 26V4000 LCD tv.

Can I do this?

What cable do I need?

What equipment do I need?

Doug

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 2:43 PM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2015 1:48 PM in response to douglasfromsouthport

Greetings Doug,

In order to use your HDMI television to display from your iMac, you would need a couple of things. First, your iMac must use a Mini DisplayPort for video output. Use this article to identify what iMac model you have if you don't know - How to identify iMac models.

This article will tell you which iMacs can use said adapter - About Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters. This article may also prove useful - Apple Mini DisplayPort adapters: Frequently asked questions (FAQ).

Lastly, you need the adapter. Apple does not make such an adapter but there are some made by 3rd parties that are available in the Apple Store online. See this link - mini displayport hdmi - Apple.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well.

Jul 29, 2015 4:15 PM in response to douglasfromsouthport

douglasfromsouthport wrote:

Hi Brett L,

This sounds like I'm being stupid but....

Is a Thunderbolt connection the same as a Mini DisplayPort? If so why two different names?

My iMac is 21.5inch, late 2013 with 4 - USB3 and 2 - Thunderbolt connections and 1 - ADSL connection. Running Yosemite.

Doug

No you are not being stupid, you just do not know. A Thunderbolt and Mini Display Port connection look identical however they are completely different. You need an adapter like:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HHLN2ZM/A/belkin-4k-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-a dapter?fnode=209efef2db2860ab8a191724d2d…

Jul 30, 2015 6:07 AM in response to douglasfromsouthport

Hi Douglas,

Referencing this article - Apple Mini DisplayPort adapters: Frequently asked questions (FAQ) -

3. My computer has the same connector but the symbol is different, what does that mean?

Some Apple computer have a Thunderbolt port instead of a Mini DisplayPort. Computers with a Thunderbolt port will have the following symbol next a port although the port physically appears the same as a Mini DisplayPort:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Thunderbolt ports:

Are compatible with all of the Mini DisplayPort adapters referenced below in question 5 and with Apple Mini DisplayPort equipped displays.

Connect iMac to hdmi tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.