Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect my Airport Extreme to my iMac without having a separate router?

I use an iMac at a hotel with wifi. The iMac can connect to their wifi fine.

I also have an Extreme with will not connect to their wifi. I do not have a router to plug it into.

Can I connect the extreme to my computer without having a router?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 2:58 PM

The only way that you can use the AirPort Extreme is if the hotel provides an Ethernet port in the room....and....the hotel network allows routers to connect to the network.

If both conditions above are met, and you have a spare Ethernet cable to connect from the wall port to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme, you can set up your own private wireless network in the room with Internet access for multiple wired and wireless devices.

The hotel will know that you are using their network, so you may be charged for that service depending on the hotel policies.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 2:58 PM in response to rich7la

The only way that you can use the AirPort Extreme is if the hotel provides an Ethernet port in the room....and....the hotel network allows routers to connect to the network.

If both conditions above are met, and you have a spare Ethernet cable to connect from the wall port to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme, you can set up your own private wireless network in the room with Internet access for multiple wired and wireless devices.

The hotel will know that you are using their network, so you may be charged for that service depending on the hotel policies.

Jul 27, 2015 3:49 PM in response to rich7la

How will the Internet Service Provider pull a cable from a utility pole to your room to provide the wired connection that the modem/router will need?

If you can find a provider that can do this.....and the hotel will allow it.....it might work.

You won't need another router.....since that is what the AirPort Extreme is....but you will need a modem.

How do I connect my Airport Extreme to my iMac without having a separate router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.