Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer is asking whether to set up my not so new iPhone as new, or to restore from a very old backup...

Several months ago, my iPhone had a problem and was replaced, and then backed up through iCloud. I have not synced it with my MacBook Air since then, but am now trying to do so. Since my iPhone has been replaced, many new purchases have been made on my iPhone, and I am now trying to sync any new music with my laptop. However, when I plug it into my Mac, the screen saying "welcome to your new iPhone" appears, giving me the option to either set it up as a new iPhone, or restore from a backup from several months ago.

How do I continue in order to sync my music from my iPhone with my MacBook, without losing anything that has since been purchased on my iPhone?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 4:36 PM

7 replies

Jul 27, 2015 4:56 PM in response to Irey41

One thing that you will have to do for certain is to transfer the purchases that you made on the phone into your iTunes library so that the two devices will have matching content or so that iTunes will recognize the phone as belonging to the iTunes library on the Mac.

Redownload or transfer your iTunes Store purchases from an iPhone, iPad or iPod to a computer - Apple Support

Before you do this, launch iTunes (without connecting the phone) and go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and check the box at the bottom of the window that says Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically. Click OK and quit iTunes. Now connect the iPad and launch iTunes on your own. When you chose to not auto sync, that disables iTunes form auto launching when you connect the phone, then follow the instructions in the article about transferring purchases. After all purchases have been transferred, try syncing again and see if you still get that message.

As long as all of your iPhone and iTunes content was purchased from iTunes, or the App Store, this may be all that you need to do. If you have content in your iTunes library that came from other sources such as music imported from CD, this process may work a little differently. You might have to select all of the non purchased content on your own to sync to the phone.

My computer is asking whether to set up my not so new iPhone as new, or to restore from a very old backup...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.