Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For "Old Toad" Only: Photos vs iPhoto: Features and Capabilities

Hello Old Toad,

Superb job on your comparison of iPhoto / Photos. ( For some reason, I was unable to reply directly to your thread.)

Can you consider adding an additional element to your chart ? "Can display Keywords under Thumbnails".

As you know, for the first 10 years or so of iPhoto, it had the ability to display keywords under thumbnails. This feature was removed from iPhoto a couple of years ago. As a result, many users switched to Aperture, which still does have the ability to display keywords under thumbnails.

As a result of Aperture and iPhoto being discontinued, many are searching for this feature again. Your chart would quickly answer this question and may help this feature, (utilized by science and industry), get added to a future version of Photos.

Thanks for reading.

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 4:26 PM

17 replies

Jul 27, 2015 4:47 PM in response to Ziatron

FWIW, the best way to let Apple know about any features you want added to the app is to use the form at https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html. It is extremely unlikely anybody from Apple's product development staff would read a user tip like Old Toad's.

BTW, if you enable the View > Metadata > Keywords menu item in Photos, you probably know that you just get a badge on the thumbnail indicating it has one or more keywords, but what you might not know is that if you click on it, you get a popup list of its keywords.

Jul 28, 2015 10:08 AM in response to R C-R

FWIW, the best way to let Apple know about any features you want added to the app is to use the form at https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

Everyone on our science team here has already done that.

It is extremely unlikely anybody from Apple's product development staff would read a user tip like Old Toad's.

I've had a little better luck. Over the years, I've received 4 or 5 emails from Apple about problems or solutions I have posted here.

BTW, if you enable the View > Metadata > Keywords menu item in Photos, you probably know that you just get a badge on the thumbnail indicating it has one or more keywords, but what you might not know is that if you click on it, you get a popup list of its keywords.

You're right. I discovered that a wild back. All of our images have keywords. We need the keywords shown all the time; the way iPhoto used to do it, and the way Aperture still does do it.

We have found a nice third-party photo app that does display keywords under thumbnails but we prefer to use "Photos" if possible. For now most of us are continuing with Aperture as it still works perfectly on our systems.

Thanks for your interest and input. 🙂

Jul 28, 2015 9:06 PM in response to léonie

I don't have PowerPhotos, OT. Do you know, if it can display metadata below the thumbnails when browsing a Photos library?

I had never heard of PowerPhotos until now. It appears to be some kind of an "add-on" to "Photos". You see, the photo application we have found is more of a replacement / upgrade to iPhoto. (It does show Keywords under Thumbnails.)

PowerPhotos is of interest to us because presently we are utilizing about 12 libraries with Aperture and iPhoto.

Jul 28, 2015 10:17 PM in response to LarryHN

It is not an add on - it is a separate utility program for working with the Photos library from the author of iPhoto Library Manager, another great utility

Thanks, good to know. I used "Photo Library Manager" for many years with iPhoto. However, later versions of iPhoto started to handle multiple libraries on its own quite well so I stopped using it. Aperture also handles multiple libraries well in the latest versions.

I'm trying to understand if, "PowerPhotos" would somehow allow us to show Keywords under Thumbnails with "Photos" or if we should continue testing the 3rd-party photo editing / organization application we have found.

Most of our Macs are still operating with Aperture. We are in a bit of a conundrum because my sixth sense is telling me that just as soon as we fully commit to alternative software, an upgrade to "Photos" will make all of our pain go away.

Jul 29, 2015 1:57 AM in response to LarryHN

did you read Old Toad's post

Yes, and the software publisher's website as well. I just don't understand the practical relationship between "Photos" and this software.

Does PowerPhotos replace the browser in Photos ? From fatcatsoftware: (You can easily switch between libraries, or just browse the photos in your libraries directly from PowerPhotos, without having to open each library in Photos.)

I will just have to try this out on one of our testing Macs and see how it works.

Thanks !!

For "Old Toad" Only: Photos vs iPhoto: Features and Capabilities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.