Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to transfer photos from my camera to an external hard drive without having to import them to iPhoto first? I don't need them in iPhoto.

I take a lot of photos, and prefer to store them on an external hard drive, and access them from there rather than use the internal drive. However, it appears that there is not a way to transfer them directly from my camera to an external drive using a Mac. The only way I've found to do this is to import them to Photos, then transfer them to an external hard drive and then remove them from Photos which is much more time consuming than necessary. Is there a way around this?

I'm using Photos 1.0.1 on a brand new (mid-2015) MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 9:23 PM

You are not clear

Yes you can choose not use Photos at all if you do not want to - Image Capture is in you applications folder and will do that (you need to uncheck the option in Photos to open Photos when the camera is connected and set the option to open Image Capture in IC)

And you can have the Photos library on an external drive

Having the photos on an EHD and referencing them is possible but is not a good idea

what exactly is it you want to accomplish?

LN

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 9:23 PM in response to TheNaim

You are not clear

Yes you can choose not use Photos at all if you do not want to - Image Capture is in you applications folder and will do that (you need to uncheck the option in Photos to open Photos when the camera is connected and set the option to open Image Capture in IC)

And you can have the Photos library on an external drive

Having the photos on an EHD and referencing them is possible but is not a good idea

what exactly is it you want to accomplish?

LN

Jul 27, 2015 11:42 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for the info LarryHN. Let me clarify a bit further. When I connect my camera to my MBP, what I want to do is directly pull my photos from my camera to my external hard drive, which is also connected. However, I don't see a way to view the files on my camera directly to drag and drop them from the camera onto the external hard drive. Using the import function in Photos was the only way I could figure it out. Is there a way to pull photos directly from my camera and drop them onto my external hard drive without having to use Photos or some other intermediary application?

Thanks.

Jul 28, 2015 8:03 AM in response to TheNaim

Yes as I posted use Image Capture

Did you read my answer?

you can choose not use Photos at all if you do not want to - Image Capture is in you applications folder and will do that (you need to uncheck the option in Photos to open Photos when the camera is connected and set the option to open Image Capture in IC)

LN

Jul 28, 2015 9:54 AM in response to TheNaim

You ask (after I had answered guessing at your needs)

Is there a way to pull photos directly from my camera and drop them onto my external hard drive without having to use Photos or some other intermediary application?

and the answer is simple

Use Image Capture

I'm still not sure if you have understood that or not since you have not indicated if this solves your problem or not

In any case you are welcome

LN

Is there a way to transfer photos from my camera to an external hard drive without having to import them to iPhoto first? I don't need them in iPhoto.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.